Backlight problem with telly. Picture completely gone.

Oct 14, 2018
I'm having a very annoying issue with my JMB telly not sure which is the model number but i apparently have two different ones JT0250002/01 and 50/149I-GB-5B2-FHKUP-UK. My telly is 4 years old and i didn't get warranty. Earlier today the picture suddenly went but I can still hear sound and I can see a picture when putting a flashlight on the screen. I'm pretty sure its the backlight and I'm willing to do the repair myself but unable to find the LED strips anywhere. Am I able to fix them individually? Or do I need to do the whole strip? I haven't opened the tv up yet so I have no idea how many actually need fixing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Expect to have to replace the set. It is possible to replace just the screen, if it's an LED model, chances are they're part of the screen, either edge lit or zone lit depending on how awesome your tv was. While it sounds like something as easy as replacing the LEDs, it might be something internal as well, like the power board. When you take the TV apart, check for things that look like they're burnt out or smell like they're burnt out. Might be as easy as replacing a resistor or some such nonsense.