Backlight works but no display

Status
Not open for further replies.

ludude1975

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
My dad has a Gateway NV53 Laptop, I know from reading these appear to have lots of video problems. This issue is slightly different. When connected to an external monitor the laptop works fine. When you switch to the LCD screen the backlight will come on and that's it. I have taken it apart and replaced the video cable from the motherboard to the LCD thinking it had broken It still functions the same so I assume I wasted money on a video cable. The Function F8 video switch works I believe because it will switch off the external monitor and go through it's typical phases, LCD, LCD + VGA, and VGA only.

Again, Observing it, it appears it's trying to come on cause when you boot it up you can see the backlight come on but gateway logo or bios never shows.

Looking for any other suggestions besides using it as a desktop computer.

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
It's most likely a bad inverter. You can buy inverters and/or screen/inverter kits on the web. Just be sure to match the resolution of your current screen if you buy the screen/inverter kit (which I would recommend).

Mark

Not inverter.

The inverter is for supplying power to the backlight. This light shines through the LCD screen which then filters which light passes through. The LCD screen is controlled via the video cable.

Since you replaced the video cable, AND you can output to a different screen there are only two things it could be:

1) LCD screen, or
2) Problem on motherboard prior to video cable (unlikely)

Thus you need to replaced the LCD screen. You can likely find one for $50 or so and there are video tutorials you can find.

ludude1975

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

I have changed a couple cracked screens before but never an inverter. are they located on the screen or motherboard?

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
On the back of the screen at the bottom. Usually behind bezel trim and encased in plastic tube as they generate high voltage. Most replacement screens come with the inverter included as they are a pain in the a$$ to solder. They should come with the leads already attached.

The inverter powers the backlight. The backlight works. Thus, your inverter works.

The problem is almost definitely the LCD Screen component.

Status
Not open for further replies.