Backup Singer Sues Rockstar for $250M

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This sounds like a fully justified case. Of course its the US, so the desired settlement has to be 100x what he could ever get. I guess it all hinges on just how closely the character looks like him and how closely the character's plot follows his life. This is a pretty stupid move on Rockstar's part if the case is justified.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
"After almost two hours of questioning which covered many topics of gang and street life, the meeting ended and the plaintiff was allowed to leave."

Lawyers = scum. They make it sound like Rockstar was interrogating him, when in reality he was just looking to make a couple bucks by providing ideas for the game.

FanterA

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
so is this guy claiming to have stolen a VTOL capable fighter jet from a military base? stolen a working jetpack from area 51? stolen large quantities of guns from a government warehouse? had a terminator 2 style chase down the LA River, pursued by an 18 wheeler which dropped in from the streets above? probably not.
so the guy is claiming that as he is black, wore a white vest at some point, and rode a bmx around south central, that he is the SOLE character inspiration for Carl Johnson. Nice basis for a lawsuit

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
They'll probably settle for a few hundred k's. If they used his life story even partialy, he needs to be paid for it, just like they do for movies.

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I'm sure Michael "Shagg" Washington never teamed up with Chinese Triads, ran the Imperial Palace and executed a major heist of Caesar's Palace, then flew a Harrier jet back to LA to take out the bloods and crips, so I have no idea what he's complaining about....

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
If the lawsuit holds any water in court the writers for the movie "Friday" should sue Michael "Shagg" Washington and his former gang for using bicycles in their illicit activities.

On a serious note how does this guy look at a generic black man living a thug life in a video game go "That's me dog!" when thousands of other black men can say the same. I know he gave a 2 hour interview, but the character name, appearance, and I'm guessing background are still pretty generic. Now if character's name was Carl "Shagg" Johnson then maybe, it seems that the only concrete evidence this guy has is the bicycle thing and that isn't a "Shagg" original idea anyway.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
There's not much chance he can win because the disclaimer of the game clearly says that resemblance to an event, a person is purely coincidental. Of course they can use part of event or person but you still have to prove it.... good luck for that.

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]This guy must be insane in the membrane.[/citation]Perhaps he's been taking a few too many hits from the bong. But you know, with this lawsuit, what we have here is something we can't understand. Then again, maybe he wants to be a rock superstar and live large.

Seriously though, if they used details of his life story and/or a very close likeness he should get something for his trouble, just not millions.

Rockstar could've paid him a grand for consulting fees and had him sign a waiver giving up all rights to any other compensation and this wouldn't even be happening. Instead, they'll probably settle and he'll likely get ten times that after the lawyer gets his ridiculous fee.

fracture

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
"It's hard to believe that the makers of a game that allows you to shoot at cops, pick up prostitutes, and run over pedestrians at will, would actually cheat somebody out of money, but this seems to be the case," Jeff Grotke, Washington's attorney told IGN.

LoL

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
The story is like 5% of GTA games he should only get 1/4 of 5% he isn't a 3d modeler or a programmer so maybe he should stick to singing hits from the bong in the background with cyprus hill

G

May he thinks it looks like him... but to white devs... all balck people look the same.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]his mother should sue him for using her DNA[/citation]

She should sue for using her likeness w/o her consent. The lawsuits these days are so absurd. She touched my finger sexual harassment 50 million!

Status
Not open for further replies.