Bad sound quality using headphones on my Asus ROG gl551?

Dendrology

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
Hey guys i'm really confused on something that i've noticed with my new asus gaming laptop (Windows 10). When I plug in my headphones (So far, have tested 3 including Sony and Razer), and listen to music, i noticed that the quality of the sound is sort of unclear and has more bass which I personally dislike.

When i plug in my headphones on my other old HP laptops, the comparison is much clearer (with less bass i believe), and overall it sounds much better and nicer, to the point where it seems like it is better quality audio.

I'm pretty confused though, because I guess the reason why it sounds less clear to me on my asus laptop is because the laptop itself provides more bass?

If that's the reason why, does anyone know how to decrease bass on my rog gl551 laptop?

Or if there is actually a reason as to why the sound quality using headphones on my asus is worse than my old HP laptops, maybe I need to change some settings?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out and shoot a quick reply ^^

PS: Currently using Sony MDR-10 rnc which have no settings to modify sound quality

Solution
Sound settings are likely the culprit, perhaps even bad drivers. Try reinstalling the drivers and resetting all the sound settings (usually the driver's UI will have a reset).

It could also just be that your old computer was never properly configured and instead had things like "voice enhancement" enabled, which make voices clearer but actually kill the real sound of what you were playing.

You can also check to see if the "speaker" properties show any enhancements like equalizers or "low frequency protection" on your old machine and then try to replicate them on the new one.
Sound settings are likely the culprit, perhaps even bad drivers. Try reinstalling the drivers and resetting all the sound settings (usually the driver's UI will have a reset).

It could also just be that your old computer was never properly configured and instead had things like "voice enhancement" enabled, which make voices clearer but actually kill the real sound of what you were playing.

You can also check to see if the "speaker" properties show any enhancements like equalizers or "low frequency protection" on your old machine and then try to replicate them on the new one.

Solution