Ballmer: Computer Scientists Needed to Use Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
You just suck at using phones Ballmer. You're a MS CEO, so you're going to be bias when comparing Windows phones to Android phones.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"But he [Ballmer] also said that Windows Phone devices are better because they put the user's need right on the device's front page."

Last time I checked, my android phone has all kinds of widgets and icons to put anywhere I want. And how does he think he knows what my needs are anyway?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]"But he [Ballmer] also said that Windows Phone devices are better because they put the user's need right on the device's front page."Last time I checked, my android phone has all kinds of widgets and icons to put anywhere I want. And how does he think he knows what my needs are anyway?[/citation]
Steve Jobbs did, why not Stevie B?

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]"But he [Ballmer] also said that Windows Phone devices are better because they put the user's need right on the device's front page."Last time I checked, my android phone has all kinds of widgets and icons to put anywhere I want. And how does he think he knows what my needs are anyway?[/citation]Why even use "he" if your going to address Ballmer personally anyway? You would have saved 5 spaces just addressing him in the first place ;)

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I like these stories on Ballmer just because I get to see his many goofy photos .

Hey Tom's can you create an article specifically focusing on Ballmer photos?

BTW I am a Windows OS fan, but I think Ballmer is a wacky guy for the CEO of Microsoft.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Isn't it kinda ironic how Windows used to be the most user-unfriendly platform back in the 90's? Then with Xbox 360 it seems they started going the Apple route.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I really like my WP7, but I only got it because I got a new phone off contract for $100.

Android is awesome. It's not hard to use. Okay, it may not be quite as intuitive as a Windows phone (or iOS for that matter, but it is far more versatile and fun to use IMO.

ICS is the SHIT.

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I tried to help a friend with a modern windows phone, really difficult to get to grips with imho, put me off there and then, I wanted a nice big settings button i could have a look around inside of.

G

MS under Ballmer has become an embarrassment.

Someone give this bozo the boot now, for the sake of Windows, for the sake of Microsoft, and for the sake of the evolving web.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]No! First off, if you can't pick up an Android phone, and within a few days become a general master at it, then you're just dumb. Yes, you're dumb. You should realistically be able to pick up almost any device, and with enough time to test and play around, be able to get the general gist of it. This is called: Intelligence: The ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.Use what skills you know about computers and applications, and now apply them towards a smaller, handheld device that runs on the same concept and principle. If you can't figure this out, then sorry, you need to be left behind. I also like how the older generation mumbles stupid ass comments like "Oh, you were born into this sorta stuff, so that's why it's so easy for you". Um, no dumbass, I wasn't born with a smartphone and computer in my hand, I was born a young, curious child that didn't WILLFULLY BLOCK OUT TECHNOLOGY, but instead embraced it with an eager mind. Now that it's important, I just so happen to be inclined with all of it, while you decided you didn't need it, nor wanted a part in it. As an adult, with a full capacity brain and education, YOU actually had the edge and advantage when it comes to technology. Ideally, you, as the adult, should be MUCH better with technology than the younger generation. Why? Because if you just paid attention, you would've started when everything first came around, and from there on out, follow all the transitions and upgrades to technology. But nope, you blocked it out, and now need a crash course. Oh well.[/citation]

This exactly. I'm sick of repeating this to everyone. And Ballmer is stupid. Android is simple. The whole fuss about one OS or another being "more user-friendly" is bull$h!t, every OS on the market today is simple to use (excluding various Linux distros which keep adding more and more bloatware with every update; I'm talking real consumer OSs).

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
According to Ballmer the world must be over run with computer scientists. How many Android handsets are activated every day? Computer scientists are a pretty smart bunch. They need to be in order use Android right? Did Ballmer just make an inadvertent remark about the intelligence of WP7 users?

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]13thmonkey[/nom]I tried to help a friend with a modern windows phone, really difficult to get to grips with imho, put me off there and then, I wanted a nice big settings button i could have a look around inside of.[/citation]Well, there is a nice big settings button. You can pin it to your home screen if u want.

G

The big recurring theme at MS is to get you doing things their way. Comparing Android to WP7 is like comparing PHP to ASP.NET. PHP is simple, efficient, and allows you to echo out raw HTML that allows you to easily interact with the database backend of your choice. ASP.NET takes away everything, adds their own non-standard controls, and tries to force you into writing C# that creates non-HTML webforms and controls which then somehow get re-assembled into not-quite-standards-compliant HTML.

Murissokah

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Since their software runs on 98% of the world's computers I'd say they do make pretty good software....what a moron.[/citation]

Since we are talking about phone software, I fail to see your point.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Thanks Ballmer, now I can point fingers to people using WP xD!

"Hey, u're using a dork's phone! Ballmer says so, and he makes that stuff" lol

Cheers!

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
There's an app call "Background Noise" in Windows Marketplace. I wonder if Ballmer wrote that app, because it sounded like him. Just a bunch of background "Noise". :D

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]No! First off, if you can't pick up an Android phone, and within a few days become a general master at it, then you're just dumb. Yes, you're dumb. You should realistically be able to pick up almost any device, and with enough time to test and play around, be able to get the general gist of it. This is called: Intelligence: The ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.Use what skills you know about computers and applications, and now apply them towards a smaller, handheld device that runs on the same concept and principle. If you can't figure this out, then sorry, you need to be left behind. I also like how the older generation mumbles stupid ass comments like "Oh, you were born into this sorta stuff, so that's why it's so easy for you". Um, no dumbass, I wasn't born with a smartphone and computer in my hand, I was born a young, curious child that didn't WILLFULLY BLOCK OUT TECHNOLOGY, but instead embraced it with an eager mind. Now that it's important, I just so happen to be inclined with all of it, while you decided you didn't need it, nor wanted a part in it. As an adult, with a full capacity brain and education, YOU actually had the edge and advantage when it comes to technology. Ideally, you, as the adult, should be MUCH better with technology than the younger generation. Why? Because if you just paid attention, you would've started when everything first came around, and from there on out, follow all the transitions and upgrades to technology. But nope, you blocked it out, and now need a crash course. Oh well.[/citation]

Although I do agree with your first three paragraphs you should not be so critical about old people not adopting technology like you did. When you spend 50-60 years living a certain way that remains mostly unchanged, and then be hit by this brick wall of ever changing computational technology you probably never heard about before, it is not easy. When you are born in a world that has already largely adopted this technology, you grow accustomed to it from the very beginning, and don't have to change yourself or your habits to adapt to it. You don't have a past living life in a different way. Not only that, but you are young and that helps you learn things faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.