Ballmer: Zune Could Become Software-only

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenskye

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
It would be really interesting to have an alternative to iTunes. I own a mac and an ipod, but honestly I would love to see more competition. Regardless of how you feel about Apple, another perspective on how portable music should be experienced is a good thing. It gives everyone options and who can argue with that?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Microsoft needs to do something, fix the system or drop it. If I recall, the original Zune wasn't even compatible with a lot of services offering music using WMA and Microsoft's own DRM. With more and more companies dropping DRM entirely, this isn't as big of an issue, but still, how does Microsoft create a portable music player that doesn't support its own formats?

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
wow this basically tells us that the zune is dead.. it's dumb to voice it because it will kill their sales and it's fait compli.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
jsloan- lol

Microsoft has always been a software company. They just can't compete on the hardware front.

I would disagree. The Zune and 360 have had some embarrassing problems, but their peripherals have always been pretty reliable.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
How about somethign like iTunes where you don't fucking need to use it to transfer music. I can't stand having to use iTunes to transfer music to my iPod. Another thing Microsoft would need to work on is cables and adapters for car stereos. The only reason I got an iPod is because it will connect to my cars stereo/monito so i can play music and movies from it on my screen and use the touch screen to select what songs i want to hear. I'm not sure if the iPod became popular because of its compatibility with other equipment, or the other way around, but if anyone wants to compete with the iPod they need to get their shit working with car stereos without the need of a fm transmitter, aux jack, or car power adapter. I hate Apple, I despise iTunes, but I love how my iPod will connect seamlessly to my car stereo with one cable to provide digital video, audio and power to recharge along with the ability to display video and choose menu option on my touchscreen. If Zune, Sandisk, or Creative had that ability with a car stereo I would have gotten those, but the fact is many car stereos on the market, and other devices, are designed to work with iPod only. I shoudl also add that i had to get an older gen iPod since the streo would not display video with the new iPod Classic, iPod touch, or iPhone, so Apple may have lost another customer, unless I need to get a new car stereo before I upgrade the iPod. Perhaps by then Micrsoft, Sandisk, and Creative will have gotten their shit together and partnered up with car stereo companies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]The Schnoz[/nom]How about somethign like iTunes where you don't fucking need to use it to transfer music.[/citation]

omfl think of the children and the harm you have just done!

this being a sophisticated website, why dont' we all agree not to use the following words in our posting

FCC's Seven Dirty Words:

Shit
Piss
Fuck
wise and beautiful woman
beautiful being
Motherfucker
Tits

Expanded list:

Fart
Turd
Twat

George Carlin's full list:

"Shit, Piss, Fuck, wise and beautiful woman, beautiful being, Motherfucker, Tits, Fart, Turd, Twat, Crap, Balls, Prick, Asshole, Jackoff, Jerkoff, Scumbag, Douchebag, Hardon, Rod-on, Boner, Stiff, Pisshard, Blueballs, Nookie, Koose, Gash, Slash, Holds, Slitz, Snatchbox, Beaver, Pussy, Bearded Clam, Jizum, Cum, Cream, Juice, Pecker, Peckerhead, Peckertracks, Dick, Dork, Dong, Donacker, Wang, Slong, Slwontz, Pork, Crabs, Ass, Butt, Hiney, Tuckis, Bum, Bungs, Cheeks, Screw, Laid, Diddle, Plow, Hump, Bang, Poke, Batter, Wham, Knock-up, ah heck, Brown, Juggs, Bazooms, Knockers, Knobs, Lungs, Balloons, Dildo, Joystick, Hairpie, Muff, Cornhole, Rimjob, Blowjob, Sugarbowl-pie, Suck-off, Give-head, Sit-on-my-face, Buttfuck, Fingerfuck, Clap, Kleek, 69, 71 which is 69 with 2 fingers up your ass, daisychain, circlejerk, cockteaser, wet-dream, wise and beautiful woman-struck, pussywhipped, short-arm, tuna-taco, group-grope, milking-the-chicken, bulldagger, gangbang, ballbreaker, ballbuster, mircan, bananas and cream, up the old dirt road, around the world, beat-your-meat, whack-off, flogging your dong, pouning your pud, beating the bishop, poontang, dingleberry, sit on it, fudgepacker, milking the lizard, fartface, old fart, farting around fartsniffer, ream, snake, raincoat, quickie, queer, queen, puts, put-out, push, beef-injection, dog-style, pop your cookies, bust-your-nuts, one-eyed-monster, knob, pocket pool, tail, piddle, paddle the pickle, one-man-band, snapper, notch, rod, shaft, stick, piece of ass, god damn it, pimp, fucker, punk, my wise and beautiful friend, a lovely person, lesie, box-lunch, sea-food, hand-job, hammer, hatch, head-job, hot-nuts, hum-jog, prong, jellyroll, jerk-the-gerken, lob, meatwhistle, cheese, scatfan, middle-leg, wanking, booty, love-mussle, snapping pussy, ghost, bitch, bastard, clam, bite the brown, going up mustard road, bone-on, bush, button, wise and beautiful woman-lapper, cherry, tool, dingus, quift, quim, get off, joint, piece, stem, root, crack, cootch, crud, eat me, fuck you, up your ass, get laid, fuck-off, piss-off, piss on you, stick it, stuff it, ram it, jam it, cram it, horny, peter, the one eyed wonder worm, piece-of-ass, little brown eyeball, golden showers, pound cake, boy in the boat, brown eyes, brown nose, sloppy seconds, Mongolian cluster fuck, rod of love, copping a field, copping a cherry, copping a joint, on the rag, flying the flag, riding the cotton pony, dipping your wick, going down on, dry hump, fist fuck, skin-flute, French job, furburger, nuts, get your rocks off, get in, get it up, hung, ginch, gobbel, disel a lovely person, rubber, shoot, sift, wod, cocksman, tip-fuck, ton, rough-trade, trick, weenie, and yodelling in the gully."

:)

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Woohoo, Zune going the way of Windows. Awesome. I don't want to buy some cruddy $349 Zune player. This is what makes Windows so awesome, I don't have to buy my machine from Microsoft. Can't wait.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
oh i see they are licensing it as windows to various hardware manufacturers... now i get it. that's a better idea, i guess i should read more than the title...

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I have an 80 gig zune. I compared it to a ipod touch 16 gig. My itunes items have no problem playing on the zune. zune also works without issue with media center. I can fit about 250 hours of video and view it on a 3 inch screen (nice for plane rides) Battery life is about 3 hours. But I bought a 4x AA battery pack for in flight charging for $7. I have never needed to change out the AA batteries. My zune has better features than the ipod for 2/3 of the cost..... A no brainer really. I also rip my recorded satellite radio directly to the zune without problems.

I can use itunes, media player, or the zune software to control my music and videos. The zune software seems to work best.

I think that the zune is just like Vista..... most people that hate it have either have not tried it or are as dumb as a rock.

And I have used an ipod for 2 years prior to the zune.

I kind of like having my favorite TV show sync to my zune as I walk in the door.

Maybe Microsoft needs to make items on marketplace 2/3 the cost of itunes. This would be consistent with other microsoft vs Apple price comparisons.

I think that sharing the zune software with other MP3 manufacturers is a great idea. Maybe they should just include it in Windows 7.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Woohoo, Zune going the way of Windows. Awesome. I don't want to buy some cruddy $349 Zune player. This is what makes Windows so awesome, I don't have to buy my machine from Microsoft. Can't wait.[/citation]

$249 for 120 gig. I like it better and $100 cheaper than ipod..... plus 104 more gigs......

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]$249 for 120 gig. I like it better and $100 cheaper than ipod..... plus 104 more gigs......[/citation]

im still happy with my ipod... it's slim... albeit overpriced...

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]CREATIVE ZEN!!!!![/citation]

almost bought one of those, but settled for ipod because of the support for podcasts is second to none.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
When it comes the the music player market, there is only Apple. Sure, there are the other MP3 and video players on the shelf, but the market is all about the iPod

i have to disagree with that. out of my entire economics senior class in my hs[30 people about], one person had an ipod. i don't know too many people with ipods.. i actually know more people with an itouch, and thats basically for the wifi only, 8gb of non-expandable memory, battery draining music doesn't do much for a person nowadays.

ZEN FTW

Status
Not open for further replies.