Barnes & Noble Announces Snazzy $259 Ereader

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Sounds good, but a good review would be nice or did I miss that? Either way let open competition reign.[/citation]
They just announced it, so I doubt they are producing them yet. I'm more interested in the format they're using. Is it open, or is it like the Kindle, and bound to B&N's service?

G

its still too expensive, make it 100$ and I might consider buying it, if its DRM free ( Meaning I OWN every copy I purchase!!!!). Thats a mayor point for me.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
nice :) i was waiting for this ever since B&M went into development of this product with plastic logic, I was waiting for this announcement for a while. best of all B&N has a bigger library >.< last time i checked.

LaughALot

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Looks good, but what really I need one of these for is technical publications. And a search of B&N website shows almost nothing. The only digital title I found was "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Microsoft Windows 7". So Kindle wins for now.

BTW: I've noticed that for several publications the Kindle version is more expensive than the hard copy. I thought the kindle version was suppose to be cheaper?

In either case I'll wait for the dust to settle.

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Am I the only one who STILL thinks these devices are too pricey? For about that price, you can get a netbook that does whatever e-readers do plus much more. I know portability and size are at a premium right now, but if you care about it that much, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the majority of smart phones come into this market (although I think the iPhone has an app for this already).

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]DieselDre2K[/nom]Am I the only one who STILL thinks these devices are too pricey? For about that price, you can get a netbook that does whatever e-readers do plus much more. I know portability and size are at a premium right now, but if you care about it that much, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the majority of smart phones come into this market (although I think the iPhone has an app for this already).[/citation]

It's all about ergonomics and functionality.

An e-reader feels a lot more like a traditional book than a netbook and also has dedicated functionality for e-books.

And smartphones won't bother the e-readers much because the screens are too small for extended reading sessions.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]It's all about ergonomics and functionality.An e-reader feels a lot more like a traditional book than a netbook and also has dedicated functionality for e-books.And smartphones won't bother the e-readers much because the screens are too small for extended reading sessions.[/citation]
Ive got no problem reading books from my iPhone.. Only thing is i have to turn the brightness way down so that its not too bright to hold close to my face..

erichlund

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
The Gigabyte T1028 is a tablet style netbook. It's quite a bit more expensive than this device, and weighs in at about 6 times the weight, plus the battery only lasts about 5 hours. I do use it to read from the B&N library, and their eReader software is some of the best I've seen on a PC, but even with the tablet format, it's heavy and clunky compared to the dedicated eReader product.

I didn't mind reading books on my crackberry 8800, but the large screen is much more pleasing to use.

I was actually expecting a larger reader, based on an interview with the manufacturer of the product, so what they introduced is something of a surprise. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see a KindleDX sized device to be announced soon, as Plastic Logic hinted that they were working on something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.