Barnes & Noble Announcing Dual-core Tablet Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Good move B&N! A perfect competitor to the Fire with a bit more usability.
My wife is getting this for Christmas to replace her B&W Nook.

rexoverbey

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Kindle fire got smoked! Nook Tablet his faster 1.2GHz dual core OMAP (1GH OMAP FIre), 16GB external (8GB external fire), upto 32GB external (no external Fire), weighs less, bootable from microsd, better modability (not locked down), same screen specs on both (except Nook Tablet has reduced glare), and doesn't have to be locked to Amazon books (you can even load amazon app from market).

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Release a dual core tablet when 5 core tablets are on their way. Smart move.

They should focus on colour e-Ink instead. Right now it can do 4096 colors (link). Not re-cycle this cheap-ass design they used before. Gah! Dat home button! No. No. Just, no.

And ffs, stop this "why our Nook is better than that Kindle" nonsense.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]Release a dual core tablet when 5 core tablets are on their way. Smart move.They should focus on colour e-Ink instead. Right now it can do 4096 colors (link). Not re-cycle this cheap-ass design they used before. Gah! Dat home button! No. No. Just, no.And ffs, stop this "why our Nook is better than that Kindle" nonsense.[/citation]
Well, it is obvious you have no idea how the market works. Doesn't matter if there are 10 core tablets out, there will always be a huge number in the lower-end market. Look at Kindle Fire's pre-order numbers. Pretty sure the Kindle Fire will sell more their first day then the Asus Tegra 3 tablet.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I'm just saying. A dual core for what? If it's intended for reading, web surfing, email, etc., why dual core?

If they market it for magazines and kids' books, Angry Birds, Scrabble & Epicurious... I would seriously rather they put in a single core and drop the price by $20-30. 1 GB of RAM for what? Many many opened web pages at a time?

Everything about it screams chicken. They don't wanna risk bringing to market colour e-Ink so they're just piggybacking off of Amazon.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
To top that off, they showed EVEN MORE lack of originality by using the same washed-up design they used before.

PS: Why no edit button, tomsguide? Tomshardware has one.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
if they added bluetooth, it would be more useful...but not a bad compromise. Doesn't beat the Fire, but it's at least on par with it or slightly better...

ATIWOLF

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
This is what i think of e-readers:
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Fawk them, right in the memory cache.

Physical, tangible, sharable, smellable, recyclable books for the win.

I don't need your accursed, souless ones and zeros.

G

This is what i think of e-readers:
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Fawk them, right in the memory cache.

Physical, tangible, sharable, smellable, recyclable books for the win.

I don't need your accursed, souless ones and zeros.
that is, until you feel like carrying over 1000 books...
as an owner of the previous version, these things are amazing. half tablet, half ereader, only 250 bucks. FUCK YEA

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
well FRIGGEN DUH!!!! it better be better, it's $50 more or 25% more expensive than the Kindle Fire.

get that Nook Tablet with Android and get it to $200 then let's start boasting...honestly who are they kidding?

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]get that Nook Tablet with Android and get it to $200 then let's start boasting...honestly who are they kidding?[/citation]
The Nook Tablet runs Android; it's just a very customized version of it.
If you're such a huge Android fan, them surely you know how to root the device, install a custom ROM, and make it into whatever you want it to be!

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]behere[/nom]iPhone copy's android, android copied iPhone in the end it benefits the customerthanks.[/citation]
Nah-huh. Google purchased the Android ecosystem in 2005 while Apple’s iPhone debuted in 2007: http://www.ifans.com/blog/33297/

Status
Not open for further replies.