Bass overpowering the front speakers? preventing treble?

Sean Sparshott

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
okay, so i had just been win7 onto my computer, im currently rocking the "Soundblaster Z OEM" sound card.
ive downloaded the latest driver (also tried an older one) everythings been set up perfectly, as when i test each speaker, they all sound perfect. (Running 5.1 Surround)
When playing a movie, the speakers sound somesort of inverted?
When playing a song, the speakers are perfect, until the bass comes.

The bass feels like its overpowering the front speakers (Left, Center and right), it feels like its stopping them from being able to, well be loud?
I can see how the bass is doing it, because when the bass stops in a song or a movie, the speakers louden, and all the treble comes through and sounds fine, then the bass comes back, and all treble is lost, it just sounds like they're all trying to subwoofer my ass..

Solution
Hi
if you have realtek on your PC,open audio manager and under speaker configuration if any speakers are ticked under full range speakers then untick them ,this will reduce the bass to those speakers.
If this does not work then under sound effects click the graphic equalizer button and reduce the low frequencies,note that you may have to increase the volume of the sub woofer after doing this.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
if you have realtek on your PC,open audio manager and under speaker configuration if any speakers are ticked under full range speakers then untick them ,this will reduce the bass to those speakers.
If this does not work then under sound effects click the graphic equalizer button and reduce the low frequencies,note that you may have to increase the volume of the sub woofer after doing this.

Solution

Sean Sparshott

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

As you may have a nice valid point, you should have noticed that i am using a sounds card "Sound Blaster Z" Therefore i am using the sound blasters software. Within the software provided, there is no full range speaker configuration settings. If you're able to look into the software and post some screenies of what i should be doing, then by all means be my guest :3
Also with the low frequencies set on the equalizer settings, still no change, and bearing in mind im using Creative 5.1, i have a little bass analogue on the back of my sub-woofer to turn it up or down, which turning it all the way down doesn't change the affect of the sub-woofer overpowering my speakers.
I'd like to thank you for your answer though, if you have any other ways you'd think that could fix my problem, please feel free to leave them as a reply.
Thankyou

You don't mention if the speakers are new. You should be able to knock the amount of bass down with the bass level control so if that doesn't work there may be a problem with the speakers. From you description whenever bass is playing the sub amp is pulling down the amps for the other speakers. If you can connect the speakers to a non PC source that would help eliminate the software from troubleshooting.

Sean Sparshott

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

I did some messing about with all the settings, i infact found out that my "62" Frequency was far to high in the equalizer which caused it to layer above the over surrounding sounds. Therfore, turned it down, works perfectly! + Speakers aren't too old i spose, 2 years running smooth ;) T6160's.