Batch file renaming based on barcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

carelh

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hello,
I have a challenge on my hands - I have about 10 000 images that i would like to rename in a folder. each image is a scanned tiff file with a 39 Barcode on it. The barcode is consistently in the right hand Quarter of the page.
Id like to rename the files based on the barcode value on each image.

So image 1 is called image5487.tiff and the barcode value on that image is "DLL0002154".

id like the image file name to be DLL0002154.tiff so that when all 10 000 are finished in a folder, i can easily find them by the barcode value.

Id like a solution where a piece of software can loop through a folder, open the image, read the barcode and rename and save the image with that new name before moving on to the next.

can anyone help?

Thanx
Carel

You need some custom software here. No cheap off-the shelf software will read a specific part from an image, automatically with location info as to where the numbers are. Maybe google or Adobe can help here. I don't know about every piece of software out there, but what you are trying to do is not easy.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Sounds like a fun project.

There are a few open source Java libraries for image 39 barcode image parsing. This one seems like it could do what you are looking for.

The complexity may be in your rough and ready "right hand quarter of the image" statement. Because the image isn't purely the barcode you've got a good chance of the barcode result being wrong for whatever software you use. Which means you potentially need to manually check these 10k images for correctness. Not ideal!

Can you supply a few example images?

pragati

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

pragati

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hi I am Pragati
my problem is same as yours I have n numbers of scan files in a folder. I want to write windows service which runs afetr 5min ,and it will open that floder then choose one file using ocr solution search barcode and then save tht using barcode number in c#?
how pla help me for this

thanks in advance :)

Deb_1

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hi Carel,

Did you get any useful answers? There are at least 2 options for you that I am aware of and they both work well.

1. try (demo version for free): http://www.bardecode.com/filer.html
It does exactly what you are needing and finds the barcode automatically. No extra code needed on your part.
It's not very expensive (this is relative of course).

2. Good OCR software like that of Adobe Reader PRO has a barcode feature you can enable so that after OCR, the barcode is in the OCR output text in a fixed place (for example, the last row of data in the OCR output text is only the barcode). Then you can write software to find this string and rename your images (overnight batch). This option is good if a) you already have this software and b) you know how to write code to do this.

Item 1 above will do exactly what you describe and it's relatively cheap.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.