Battery drain after SSD install on Samsung Laptop

Lucabi

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
Hi everybody!
A couple of years ago I bought a Samsung Laptop (model: NP300v5a) which had a good i7 processor and a 500 GB HD. I recently installed a Samsung PRO 840 (256 GB) SSD instead of the original hard disk and everything got better, with the exception that the laptop's battery life has really really shortened. Before installing the SSD it could last 3 or 4 hours, depending on Windows 7 power saving settings, and now it can't run for more than one hour and half, even if I use Samsung Magician (the software with comes with the Samsung PRO 840) or Windows 7 power saving settings to boost battery life.
Samsung's customer service doesn't give support on this kind of problems (I was told so by the phone girl who answered me).
Does anyone know what I should do? Thanks in advance!

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
well, you are right Yogi its rather old!:)i dont have anything newer but on some set ups with ssd i have noticed increased cpu and ram activity especially when performing writes of large files. also have you done any ssd tweaking like disabling prefetch, superfetch or something?

Y0GI

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
well, you are right Yogi its rather old!:) i dont have anything newer but on some set ups with ssd i have noticed increased cpu and ram activity especially when performing writes of large files. also have you done any ssd tweaking like disabling prefetch, superfetch or something?

I have disabled Prefetch and Write Cache Buffer Flushing. Write Cache Buffer is enabled, however. I'm not sure about Superfetch setting. I've experimented with lots of different settings, just not lately.

Yogi

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

yes i have done that too. also i have indexing dissabled , hibernation, windows restore and reduced page file memory to 400mb. i have done all that to free some gb from the OS ssd but also resulted in increased cpu and ram activity during copies mostly.

chris987

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Lucabi, have you also tried any of these tweaks lately? also two years of usage maybe started to have an impact on batterys condition. it is possible that the deterioration of the battery emerged after the ssd upgrade.!

Y0GI

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
yes i have done that too. also i have indexing dissabled , hibernation, windows restore and reduced page file memory to 400mb. i have done all that to free some gb from the OS ssd but also resulted in increased cpu and ram activity during copies mostly.

Likewise, I have disabled Hibernation, Indexing, Restore and I have my Pagefile set to 1024 MB.

Yogi