Solved! battery driver needed

Mar 1, 2018
The battery on my acer laptop says "0% available (plugged in, not charging)". I have read several posts on the subject and have tried numerous "solutions" to no avail. What I have deduced is that I think I need a drver for the battery called "microsoft composite battery" driver but don't seem to be able to find a site to download it from. Any help on the subject would be most gratefully received. Oh I am not very computer literate so need everything explained as fully as possible and in layman's terms. Thank you

Solution
But how old was the $2K laptop? If it was that bad and the laptop was that new, the battery would be covered under warranty. Case in point, I have a $3000 Asus G701V laptop (only paid $2160 for open box excellent condition through Amazon - phew!) and it's about 6 months old now. If the battery gives me an issue, it's covered under Asus' factory warranty for another t months. After that point, I don't care if the battery dies as I would just buy another battery direct from Asus ;)

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
If Karadjgne's solution does not work, please provide your hardware specs on your laptop. Also, you didn't state the age of your laptop. If it is several years old, then you will probably need to replace the battery anyways.

grimfox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Many times laptops come with proprietary chargers and don't want you charging with other so they bind them with security chips. If that chip fails it wont charge the battery anymore but will still work when it's plugged in. You'll have to replace the charger as well. This was a PITA on my Alienware as dell was no longer producing parts for my model when it died. So I'd have to spend hundreds of dollars on a certified replacement or try a bunch of different Chinese knockoffs. I eventually found one but went through 2 others that did not.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

For all the trouble you went through, you should have just bought a new laptop.

Mar 1, 2018

I'm not sure how to reply to a specific person but I will try. I have done as you suggested and it said 'no integrity violations' now what do I do? Please tell me exactly how to find the cab files. I don't have the money to take my laptop to a technician. I also went to that link you sent but there was no solution there.

grimfox

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

If it was a 500 dollar laptop absolutely it would not be worth the effort or expense. But it was not a 500 dollar laptop, it was a 2 grand laptop. The replacement charger ended up costing me about $50 and the battery $70 IIRC. I got full refunds from all the parts I returned that did not work. When they die, that laptop will be retired permanently. I would never recommend a laptop that expensive unless you had a distinct need. I found myself in rare position of a distinct need.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
But how old was the $2K laptop? If it was that bad and the laptop was that new, the battery would be covered under warranty. Case in point, I have a $3000 Asus G701V laptop (only paid $2160 for open box excellent condition through Amazon - phew!) and it's about 6 months old now. If the battery gives me an issue, it's covered under Asus' factory warranty for another t months. After that point, I don't care if the battery dies as I would just buy another battery direct from Asus ;)

Solution