Question Laptop Battery repair fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2021
Hi

I need help. I recently repaired my Laptop battery

Problem Before repair: After getting fully charge Laptop used to shut off by it self .

I had 6 cells in battery
18650 3.7v 7.4Wh
All batteries were above 3.0v in multimeter

After repair: I replaced 4 Cells
Replaced Cells confrigation: 18650 - 1200 mah 3.7v 4.4Wh
all batteries were above 3.8 v
Output of battery is 12.04V in Multimeter
sensor is at place.

Problem after repair :
A. Now after plugin charger Orange lite is keep blinking in laptop.
B. Disconnecting from charger Laptop get shut down.
C. Charging bar is not moving. Laptop is not getting charge

Things I tried
I kept power button pressed for 30 sec it didnt worked
acpi battery driver uninstall and installed again .
Laptop is getting on without battery and charger pluged in . There is no motherboard issue
Laptop Model Is Toshiba C850

Please check what can be the solution. please check images of battery

I'm not a battery expert, but it seems doing a replacement like this would be problematic unless you did all the cells and made sure they were all in that same charge state to start with. The batteries are connected in series which means the charging current has to flow through all of them. If one battery has a different charge state than the others, I would think that would be a problem. Why would you not just buy a new battery pack? Probably somewhat more expensive, I know. Maybe someone with more battery expertise could chime in. I suggest you try a forum that deals with lithium batteries. I know they exist.

One other thing you can try is to run the Toshiba battery diagnostic. Many laptops have such a diagnostic.

Feb 13, 2021
I'm not a battery expert, but it seems doing a replacement like this would be problematic unless you did all the cells and made sure they were all in that same charge state to start with. The batteries are connected in series which means the charging current has to flow through all of them. If one battery has a different charge state than the others, I would think that would be a problem. Why would you not just buy a new battery pack? Probably somewhat more expensive, I know. Maybe someone with more battery expertise could chime in. I suggest you try a forum that deals with lithium batteries. I know they exist.

One other thing you can try is to run the Toshiba battery diagnostic. Many laptops have such a diagnostic.

Hi AlHuneke,

Thanks for trying. All cells in same charge state and series . I have sent link of pics of cells. Well buying a new battery is not in my cards yet. Yes you are right I should try forum with lithium batteries. furthermore I didnt find any solution with Toshiba diagnostic.

I'm curious how you measure the charge state or did you discharge them individually? I know there is a sensor inside that somehow keeps track of remaining life. Maybe that somehow needs to be reset.

My knowledge of batteries is slight, but 25 years back I was the head of a Military GPS program that used lithium-magnesium-something cells (nasty chemistry) and one blew up. About the size of 3 D cells.. The Army battery experts said that explosion was equal to about a half stick of dynamite! Modern lithium cells are much safer but I was impressed! Likely, no one was holding the receiver when it blew up......

Status
Not open for further replies.