Battery Fueled By Air Could Power Cars, Laptops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
They mangled the story. The battery just absorbs oxygen during the discharge process and releases when its being charged.

Its just a regular battery .. you charge it with electricity then get a faction of that energy back. It just requires air to work and can store a bit more energy.

Its not air fueled.

hok

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I think they REALLY mangled this up... the issue is CAN you recharge it? in one discharge it can have more the 5 - 10 times the energy... however it doesn't seem to say anything about Recharging...

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Sounds like a perpetual motion machine trying to shatter the 2nd law of thermodynamics...Where is the energy coming from?[/citation]

It's not a closed system, dude! Perpetual motion machine would be a closed system. I guess the energy comes from the Sun, the source of all energy on Earth.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Hok[/nom]I think they REALLY mangled this up... the issue is CAN you recharge it? in one discharge it can have more the 5 - 10 times the energy... however it doesn't seem to say anything about Recharging...[/citation]

It's not clear at all what they mean. If they compare it with rechargeable lithium batteries then it must be rechargeable. Also they say that it recharges itself while discharging.
Will see! There are lots of great announcements all the time but as you see we are not driving flying saucers yet.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I think I am just having a hard time with how the article was written. If all the article is saying is that they are replacing lithium with carbon, fine. Wohoo! But if they are claiming that the air itself is charging the battery, I have a hard time believing that.

G

dude, all the above posts are hidden (I have to press 'show' to see them). WTF is wrong with this site?

About the battery, indeed, there's no way you can gain energy without first putting energy into it.
Carbon itself is not poison. It is what we breathe out. CO2. Carbon dioxide. So it's only part of what we're breathing.

Carbon my itself (in solid form) isn't poison neither, just like coal it is black. Used in a lot of things, like to strengthen steel, used in cars and motorcycle exhausts, even in musical instruments. That's where we get carbon fiber from.

It's only carbon as a fine powder or dust or gas that is dangerous to humans when inhaling it.

Interesting concept.. want to hear more about it.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Another brilliant technology that we will never see thanks to greedy corporations that lobby in washington and knock off anyone who threatens the status quo. Just the like prototype cars that were built in the 80's that would run off water; where are those today?

G

The new idea the researchers are examining is to replace the lithium cobalt oxide electrode in today's rechargeable lithium batteries with a porous carbon electrode. This allows lithium ions and electrons in the cell to react instead with oxygen in the ambient air. Rechargeable lithium batteries are currently comprised of a graphite negative electrode, an organic electrolyte and lithium cobalt oxide as the positive electrode. Lithium is removed from the layered intercalation compound (lithium cobalt oxide) on charging and re-inserted on discharge. The University of St Andrews design replaces the lithium cobalt oxide electrode with a porous carbon electrode and allows Li+ and e- in the cell to react with oxygen from the air. air is just the substrate. this project was started in july 2007 and has a 4 yr term funded by the british. the brits already have tidal generators. now new batteries. maybe we can buy elec from them soon. oceans make the energy, massive air batteries store the energy, then i can buy a block.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
This "news" is on vapor ware (software industry term for software that does not exist and is hype).

I wouldn't hold my breath. And why is Tom's Hardware wasting our time on this? Might as well be telling us that cold fusion is the future.

canceltwc4fios

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom] It'd do you good to remember people used to think the world flat.[/citation]

Remember this when you learn about the cycles of ice ages and solar flux

global warming is caused by forces acting upon our planet established long before mankind.

pesky facts

Status
Not open for further replies.