Battery not charging past 71%, what's wrong?

masobails

Estimable
Jan 21, 2016
2 years ago, I got a Dell Latitude and it has worked well for those 2 years. But I suddenly got a lump in the battery (through something being forced out of alignment) and it wouldn't fit into the battery slot properly, I fixed that by pushing down hard on it and it clicked back in and the battery fit in as it was meant to. But lately, it has stopped charging when its been off at 71% but I've turned it on and used it and it's charged past 71% (very very slowly though). Is there any way I can fix this without getting a new battery or would it getting a new battery be the only way to fix this?
P.S Also, by battery, I mean the whole battery rectangular part on the bottom of the laptop, not just actual; battery part.
P.P.S The battery now won't charge past 65%

Thanks to all those who help

Solution
I would think about replacing your battery due to the original swelling you've experienced please read below article.
http://www.tekrevue.com/swollen-battery/

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
You can do a full discharge/charge cycle to re-calibrate the battery. Just use the laptop on battery until it drains completely, then plug it in to charge (do the full charge while laptop is off). After that turn it on while it is still plugged in and see what the battery icon shows.