Battery not working correctly

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I am trying to find out what is wrong with my laptop battery. I tried to use cmd in administrative mode on Windows 7 using cd %userprofile%/Desktop and then powercfg -energy, how ever I am told windows can't because the nt kernal logger is in use. I don't know what is using the nt kernal logger or how to stop it so I cand generate a battery report, any help to resolve this problem would be appreciated?

I am using Windows 7 64 Home premium edition I am the adminstrator for this laptop.

Solution
I doubt 3rd party software would work as every laptop has different drivers.

I don't think I have ever seen a report of a dying battery causing damage to a laptop. Laptops have very good and sophisticated protection and charging circuits.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I recently noticed that it is no longer charging and is very slowly losing it's charge about 1% every 3 days or so. Tried to use hp's software to test the battery but every time I run the battery test it just freezes at 0% done. So I am trying to find an alternative way to test the battery and possibly get some information that might tell me what is going on with it.

A way to test battery is to use it normally until it hits its critical warning. This should cause it to hibernate. If it crashes before it then there is something wrong with the battery. Otherwise it is something to do with the charger or the charging jack.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Thanks for the advice and so far the battery seems to holding steady at 90%. Since my laptop is plugged in all ways I'm thinking then based on what you say I should just ignore the problem until it reaches the critical point and not worry about it any more.

sizzling

Distinguished
It could be dying if not able to hit full voltage and therefor only shows as 90% charged. FYI keeping a laptop plugged in 24/7 and the battery always at 100% is not good for the battery. Some laptops may have a program which allows you to cap the charge at 60 or 80% for this exact reason.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
Hello, sizzling do you know of any free software I could use to cap the battery charge at 60% or 80% then?

I'm more concerned about the dying battery causing damage to my laptop then any thing as the laptop never leaves my home, this is why I grew concerned when the battery started slowly losing it's charge. If I had some thing to fill the whole in with besides the battery I would use that instead as I really don't even need a battery plugged into this laptop.

sizzling

Distinguished
I doubt 3rd party software would work as every laptop has different drivers.

I don't think I have ever seen a report of a dying battery causing damage to a laptop. Laptops have very good and sophisticated protection and charging circuits.

Solution