Battery Practice for Playing Games

Manu1433

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2014
I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to remove my battery when playing games on my laptop for 2 and 3 hours continuously?

I can never seem to find a consensus on proper ways to maintain a laptop battery.

I'd like to get some input and some reasoning behind your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

clutchc

Distinguished
It won't do any harm, but it won't do any good either. That would be akin to taking the battery out of your car once the engine is running. The laptop battery isn't in use when plugged in to the charger... the charger just maintains the charge if the battery loses some.

Manu1433

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2014

What about the heat generated by the laptop?

It doesn't get overly hot, but can the extra heat generated from gaming damage lithium ion batteries? Or is the heat increase not enough to really have an effect on it?

clutchc

Distinguished
The miniscule amount of difference removing the battery due to keeping it cool would be offset by the constant wear and tear on the contacts and mechanical latch by constantly moving the battery in and out. The life of the battery in finite, it won't last forever anyway. It won't die from the slight amount of extra heat the laptop generates as fast as it will from regular discharge/charge use.