Beat a 15" Mac Book Pro! (Looking for an alternative)

deltakid

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
One of my friends is about to buy a 2900 Euro (that's about 3800 USD) 15" Mac Book Pro with the following specs:

3.06 ghz intel 2 core duo
4 GB 1066 mhz DDR3
128 GB solid state drive
DVD-RW
15" monitor

I told hom he should check some cheaper PC alternatives and he is interested in this too because Windows 7 should be better than Vista. He uses it for working with large graphic files and a bit of video editing.

What notebook would you recommend?

3800 USD? I could configure a 15.4'' gaming laptop that would kick the crap out of a Macbook:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8662-built-clevo-m860tu-custom-gaming-laptop-p-2564.html?wconfigure=yes

Configured:
3.06ghz T9900
4gb DDR3-1066
160gb Intel X-25 SSD (currently the best on the market)
1gb GTX260M
WSXGA screen (1680x1050)
Blu-ray Reader/ DVD writer
3 year warranty
Total: $2754 USD

(they ship international as well)

edit: I'm not saying that that is the best solution or that he needs all that stuff. Just showing what the amount of money he dropped on his Mac could actually get him.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Agreed - the mac is wayy overpriced for the crap you're getting.

Anyway, what's a photo/video editor doing with a crappy 15" screen? He should get 17" or larger with no external solution.

G

The problem with Macs (other than the price) is the fact that their video cards are so horrible they aren't ever mentioned in the specifications. A video card is a big part of how your computer handles memory, especially if you are trying to make videos and such.

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
You're not being specific enough....

you only want the mac if you need a beautifully portablee workstation...

and for the people that think a gaming rig thats two inches thick is comparable to the MACBOOK...ure wrong....

-macbooks have a 7 hour battery life
-macbooks have great, steady operating system (comparable with windows 7 ULTIMATE)
-macbooks have great, backlit keyboards
-macbooks are REALLY thin(less than an inch!) and ligh compared to any other lappy with a CD drive
-the macbook pro has 100% color gamut (better screen than the rest)
-comes with great software and backup utilities

but if ur friend is a gamer why would he even CONSIDER a mac?? he should directly go with a gaming laptop if all its gonna do is sit on yur desk for some pure owning at COD 6 and crysis ^^

macbooks are SIMPLY the best perfomance/portability laptop...you can even do some mid level gaming on them which is impossible for other laptops their size...

i reccomend the macbook pro because it is reliable and very future-proof

most people think my ibook g4 (about 7 years old) is brand new!

i hope i help