Beats by dre solo hd for gaming

TheColeTrain

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Well my grandparents bought me a shiny new pair of beats by dre solo hd. I have no intent on listening to music with these, but I was wondering if they could work for gaming. Do they have good directional audio so I can hear footsteps, gunshots, ect.

Solution
you can do much much much better than a pair of beats, although you could technically use them for gaming. the sound quality of beats really isnt that good compared with what else is on the market.

if they are still brand new i'd return them and use the money to buy something more worthwhile.

the beats are stereo only so will not have 3d positional audio unless you are using a soundcard (such as the reasonably priced xonar dg or dx) with dolby headphone turned on. its not perfect however but is the same technology used by most non-multiple-driver gaming headsets so it is relevant.

if you can get something better... i would say the sennheiser hd598 is perfect for gaming (or perhaps one of the slightly cheaper models they have) but...

BLOXlink20

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Yes you should use it. You can hear footsteps,etc but you won't have the best expeirence (did i spell that right) using them compared to a gaming headset. but I guess it depends if you play on a console or pc.:D

you can do much much much better than a pair of beats, although you could technically use them for gaming. the sound quality of beats really isnt that good compared with what else is on the market.

if they are still brand new i'd return them and use the money to buy something more worthwhile.

the beats are stereo only so will not have 3d positional audio unless you are using a soundcard (such as the reasonably priced xonar dg or dx) with dolby headphone turned on. its not perfect however but is the same technology used by most non-multiple-driver gaming headsets so it is relevant.

if you can get something better... i would say the sennheiser hd598 is perfect for gaming (or perhaps one of the slightly cheaper models they have) but they are not bass heavy. if you want bass then the dt770pro 80 have bass but need a soundcard to drive them if you want to get the most out of them (xonar dg or dx is fine)

----

TLDR:

yes, you can use them for gaming. for positional you would need to have dolby headphone or other virtual surround supported by your soundcard. i think there are better choices available than the beats.

Solution