Berhinger mixer problem

kenhil

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Hello,

I'm new to these forums so hope this is posted in the correct place. I wasn't sure.

I have a berhinger 1204FX mixer that I have been using with my pc for recording purposes. I ran a connection from the outputs on the mixer directly into the Mic audio slot on my pc..It worked perfectly for almost a year. Recently ( week ago) I used the mixer along with a new karaoke player I got at Christmas. A few days later I re-connected it back to my pc and now for some reason that set up doesn't work. I'm baffled as to what is wrong. I have a Mic inserted into line in on channel 1 of the mixer and cable from the mixers outputs running to the Mic in slot on the pc just as before...Although in Sound > Recording in windows it indicates that a device is plugged into Mic slot and the Mic slot is the default nothing at all shows up in the sound level gauge when I speak into the Mic. I know for a fact that the mixer is working properly because when I plug it into my friends windows 7 machine it works fine. Also when I plug a Mic directly into the Mic slot on my vista pc without the mixer it works perfectly well. I'm completely at a loss to figure out what this problem is....Can anyone help advice me...I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

darkjuggalo2000

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Is that device indicated as the default device? Is it selected as "use this device" in windows? If another device is selected as the default device it may not work correctly. Also is it muted? And lastly did you use any new cables or are they the exact same cables?

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
the mic works when plugging it directly into the computer = not the computer's soundcard

the mic and mixer work on a different computer = not the mixer

does the mixer have software that is supposed to be installed on the computer?
maybe there is a setting in the software that is wrong.
or maybe the software installation is corrupted and you need to reinstall it.

if there isnt any software.. i would question how you verified the mic input on the soundcard as working.

kenhil

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

Yes the device is listed as default, it's not muted. I am using the same cables although i do have a spare set that i tried also, just in case the pair i was using had been damaged. This set up worked for almost a year on my pc until a week or so ago when i removed the mixer to use as a mixer on a karaoke player. I put the mixer and mic back using the same cables and settings as i had used successfully before.....How it's not going now is a complete mysetry and has me baffled totally. Also just for added information the audio drivers are bang up to date on my sound card. Thanks for your input thus far.

kenhil

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

There isn't any software that comes with the mixer. I verified the mic input on the soundcard is working because I have a recording program on my computer, when I speak into the mic I am able to record my voice.

When I try to record my voice using the mic input on my mixer and with the mixer connected to my pc via the mic input or even line in input I cannot record......I could before using this method, I can't now....this is my problem.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
did you accidentally plug the cord into the wrong output of the mixer after playing around with the karaoke machine?

i mean.. it defies logic that the mixer works on one computer but doesnt on your computer, yet the microphone input works on your computer with anything else connected.

maybe the resistance (impedance) of your microphone input has changed (due to age) and the mixer is refusing to connect to the impedance.

have you disconnected the output of the mixer when you tried it with the karaoke machine.. and again when you tried the mixer on the different computer?

if not, it sounds like some secret inside the mixer is active.