Best Alternative Program to Windows' System Restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxman09

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Does anyone know of a better system restore program other than Windows' version? I've heard of Rollback Rx but I've read some questionable things and that's basically the only thing I've found.

I'm not looking for a hard drive mirror/full backup program in case my computer crashes. I back up weekly but this is a major time consuming process that I will only do if nothing else can be done. I just want a program that has a system image and can go back to a few days, few weeks, or to whenever I made a system restore point before I installed one program that makes my system a little buggy.

If there is something capable of doing a quick system restore (~20 minutes) instead of a COMPLETE hard drive wipe and re-mounting 2 TBs of files then direct me to it please. If there is a hard drive mirror/backup program that can do this too then I'm open to suggestions for those too.

I'm open to both Freeware or Paid for programs.

SpectorH85

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Hey foxman09, So you did hear about Rollback Rx, but what are those questionable things that got you worried about Rollback Rx?.

I was also looking for a complete system restore. I used Clean State before and was averagely satisfied with it, but as you might know they do not support Windows 7. I have then found Rollback Rx and gave it short. At first it did give a bit of slight problems like usage of space and stuff, but nothing that cannot be fixed and it was all about proper usage of disk utilities.

Now Rollback Rx is crucial program for me to have. It restores everything OS, registry settings and my personal data as well. And it only takes a minute or less to restore depending on the size of data but I am sure not 20 minutes and whats more is that it does not take time to even make a restore point or a snapshot which is the term used by Rollback Rx.

So if you tell me what the questions that you have on Rollback Rx or what are the complications that you think Rollback might cause I will be able to help you out or stir you in the right direction.

As for using Rollback Rx for quite some time now, I am completely satisfied with it.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
Newer versions of Acronis True Image are not only back software, but it has feature like:

Nonstop backup New

True Image 2013 records ongoing changes as you work, so you can revisit any file, folder or your entire system as it was at a specific point in time.

and

Try&Decide

Avoid disasters before they happen. Try out new software and browse any websites, even if they are potentially dangerous. Try&Decide technology allows you to take a test drive and decide if you want to keep any changes to your computer.

I have True Image 2012, but admitedly, I have not tried these two features. I just do all my testing in a virtual machine.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

SpectorH85

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

That sounds really interesting. How does the Nonstop backup New store the new changes and where does it store. And when you mean revisit the entire system, does that mean that includes the Operating System and the registry settings as well?. So if I accidently delete a file, can I go back and retrieve it?

As for the Try&Decide, when you mean take a test drive, Can I install the Acronis True Image and just install new softwares and use it for a few days and if it crashes my system, can I undo the installation and go back to how my system was before I installed the software(of course not by just uninstalling the software but by also undoing all of the changes happened since the installation of the software)

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
As I stated, I have not used these features so I don't know where the nonstop backup puts it's files. As for the try & decide, it's not part of a backup procedure. you just tell acronis to go into try&decide mode, then install your software and use it for a while. If satified, you tell it to commit any changes to the OS, otherwise it discards the changes as well as getting rid of the program.

Check out their web site for details. That's why I provided you the link.

SpectorH85

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Thank you for the details. Will give the link a try. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.