Best Antivirus for gaming

zemiak

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Hey guys,

Just built a new system and I want to get the best Antivirus for gaming that won't interfere too much. I was almost set on getting BitDefender but I still want to get some more opinions. Should I just get Microsoft Security Essentials? Is Bitdefender a good choice? Any reason I shouldn't choose it?

Thanks!

Solution
stear clear of Norton , the rest are much of a muchness , i fix pc's every day , at least 80% of the badly virused ones have norton , the rest panda and mcafee , rest i rarely see problems with

mickypheonix

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
Hi Zemiak ,
this will open up a can of worms here , everyone will tell you there antivirus program is best , i wont do that but i will tell you what i use and i do lots of gaming
i personally use AVG free antivirus , it costs nothing and works well , you also need a good firewall though , wondows firewall wont tell you what is trying to access the internet or what is trying to come in from the internet
i use Zone alarm free firewall , it is the best firewall that i have used.
there is no reason you cant use a antivirus from one company and a firewall from another , i like avg antivirus free because it is non evasive takes little cpu usage and has a huge virus database and has saved my butt more than once
zone alarm free firewall will pops up windows everytime something tries to access the net or come in from the net giving you the option to allow or deny also has good game mode so trainers etc wont force popups
the choice is entirely yours , these cost nothing and work fine

killerswit2013

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
Hi, U can use microsoft security essentials without any worries. I m using it for last 2 years and i play multiplayer games like bf4, dota 2, etc.
But still if u want, u can use avg free antivirus as its cpu footprint is low, which is good for gaming.

zemiak

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Thanks for the response!

Thats good to hear. Are there any AntiVirus programs that I should specifically stay away from?

zemiak

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Thanks for the info, I've been reading some other forums and noticed that Microsoft Security Essentials is recommended a lot.

mickypheonix

Estimable
Mar 9, 2014
stear clear of Norton , the rest are much of a muchness , i fix pc's every day , at least 80% of the badly virused ones have norton , the rest panda and mcafee , rest i rarely see problems with

Solution

zemiak

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Will do. Thank you very much!

arj1107

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
Hi Zemiak ,

Do remember that the antivirus doesn't actually find a malicious program (look at Rice's Theory), they just look for parts of code that may match the definitions uploaded by other users who were able to isolate a malicious code in their system. So a good antivirus would be something that has a good definition base which has reliable updates.
That is the reason why people recommended Microsoft but quite a lot of other companies like AVG, avast (controversial) as mentioned above can have a competitive base with it.