Best antivirus poll

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vote for your best antivirus!!!!!!!!!

• avg

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • avast

Votes: 26 13.4%
  • avira

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • kaspersky

Votes: 35 18.0%
  • norton

Votes: 23 11.9%
  • mcafee

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • nod32

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • trend micro

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • webroot

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • other....tell us about it and why!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 15 7.7%

• Total voters

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Avira for me atm.
Avast has also been alright.
Shocked to see NOD32 in the list...

AVG was alright and perhaps is alright on powerful machines that are used to do basic tasks.

other then that, it has crashed thousands of french versions of windows (I had to backup by hd transfer, reformat, reinstall, put back avg... again pc failed at reboot)

My vote is on Avira... sure has a popup on the free version... but again... FREE !

Zracko

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
Been Using Nod32 for a while now and im very happy with it , not such a resource hogger like bitdefender,kasperski and norton! as for Free Antivirus I have to give credit to Avira, SuperAntispyware and Avast

supersmcow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
i use f-secure uses about 60mb of ram for realtime protection not scanning, so it does not hog anything, and it catches everything, i got it with my isp, so i got it free catches spyware too, but you can change settings for how much you want it to look after

rean24

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
AVG for me , Good all round protection , if you couple with a good Firewall...and Anti-spyware ( If u got the RAm to spare )...Then AVG is good...
My Protection Combo ( All Free )

1) AVG Anti-Virus
2) Pc-tools Firewall
3) Ad-Aware Anti Spyware

Soo far no problem of what soo ever....

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I have been a lawful Kaspersky user (IS) since version 6.0 till 9.0 At least while my license lasted..
I now use BitDefender..

I vote for Kaspersky however.. Much lighter than BitDefender and Norton (I used Norton Antivirus 2005 till they cut its support and updates.. very bad for Symantic) Has excellent detection rates and (speaking of history) caught "I love you" virus by its heauristic and with the 6th version.. 3 hours before signiture updates.. Impressive!
I only got BitDefender because it was on sale here..

nickdave

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I recently switched to Avira from AVG. I found after testing both on some not so recommended websites that avira would stop me from loading images/ads/programs on the page. Where as AVG let them slide right by. I have always heard good things about NOD 32 and Kaspersky but have never tried either of them.

batou1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I've used Kaspersky for about 2-3 years and it has always been great.....on protection. The problem I have run into recently is that it randomly either totally blocks acces to the internet, or pages will load as what I would call "font only." If you use no-script add on and go to a page that is mostly java without allowing any of it you know what I mean by this. Basically all I see when these pages load is text and links in a list format. Strangely I was able to solve the problem temporarily by upgrading to KIS 2010, but it has begun to happen again. The weirdest part is that it will only happen about 1 out of 10 times. I will get either the text thing or "server at blahblahblah.com cannot be found" and if I reload the page once or twice it will work fine. I think it also disabled me from d/l movies from itunes for a while. I checked all firewall settings for both problems and everything was set correctly. So for me it has been great on protection, but I am now thinking of switching it up once my new rig is finished. Ive tried the trial of Vipre and liked it a lot, but is that plus win 7 firewall enough or do I need to get a separate firewall? (oh and I am a firm believer in malwarebytes as a backup and I scan with that once weekly, from everything I've read and heard about its ability to root out problems and fix them I highly recommend it as a backup)