Best Antivirus Software and Apps 2015 (Archive)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

Try Trend Micro instead -- I believe it makes the AI Suite that Asus provides with its routers.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

Malwarebytes is great for finding stuff that's already on your PC, especially adware and other annoying but harmless programs. But it doesn't do much to prevent a serious infection. You should augment it with "real" antivirus software.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

That link above branches out into six different categories, among which is a whole page of reviews of free PC antivirus software. We liked Avira Free the best.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

That's Chinese software that was recently caught cheating on AV-TEST's evaluations. It seems fine, but you have to wonder why a company that licenses a paid product's malware engine then turns around and offers that same malware engine for free.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

So this software pays 10 different companies to use their malware engines, but then gives all that to consumers for nothing? I would be wary of installing that on my machine.

Jeffsta

Estimable
May 7, 2015
What about Webroot? I was reading a lot of good stuff on it. I really liked that it was light on system resources, actually the smallest AV around, and cheaper. It is ranked in the top 3 on pcmag, and it earned a perfect score in their hands-on malware blocking test. I'm disappointed you didn't test it, because I've been thinking about getting it.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

We have reviewed Webroot. We didn't think it was as good as PC Mag thought it was, but it's OK:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/webroot-secureanywhere-antivirus,review-2568.html

la2161

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
The Sophos link is bogus. I downloaded the Sophos software and it caused complete havoc for my computer. I called Sophos and they said a virus may have been installed on my computer. I had to stop all of my credit cards - I was computer hacked back in Dec. and $250.00 was charged on my credit card. DO NOT USE THIS PAGE FOR DOWNLOADING SOFTWARE. IT IS BOGUS, AND IT WILL MESS WITH YOUR COMPUTER. Thanks a lot to the jerk who created this page.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

Could you post the link from which you downloaded the Sophos software? The only link we use is from the Mac antivirus software review page, and it goes straight to the Sophos website.

skbryan

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Bit Defender (which I use) has poor customer support. There is also an issue with retrieving files that the software deletes that it should not have. This is a serious and widely acknowledged problem that the company refuses to address and fix.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I have been using Sophos for over 3 years with no problems.Try download it from CNET Tech part.

Paul Wagenseil

Senior Editor
Apr 11, 2014

I have to regretfully agree with that. You should always try to get free Windows software directly from the maker's website.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Avast and Malwarebytes, of which I had paid subscriptions to both for a few years, ran great in Windows 7.

When I installed Windows 8/8.1 with these products, there were all sorts of issues with performance and my ability to update the OS was hampered in some way by each of these products. I worked with support and the solution was to uninstall, update the OS, then re-install each time.

As a result, I stopped using both and only use Malwarebytes for spot checks now.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Without any source material for review, I call shenanigans on this "article." I'm willing to bet that the criteria is not based on actual lab testing; and if so, I want to know which lab was doing the testing. This just doesn't add up, at all. Sure, I agree with a couple of the picks, but not all of them.

SOURCES, or I call shenanigans.

john_tech_fla

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015
Well, I just downloaded and updated Avira and ran on a scan. It failed to detect Troj/Updatre-LD, ThunderBird email attachment. It also failed to detect it when I saved the zip to an isolated folder.

I just installed Sophos/Mac, I've used it for years on my mac, ran the updater and Sophos detected both.

Scanned 2015-08-27 14:39EST.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Excellent choice. Sophos is a great app to use.Avira is not good . Avast is better than Avira.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Not even remotely true. Take a look at AV-Comparatives's test results (not just a basic test, all of the testing), and you'll see why. In fact, Avast doesn't work as well as Avira in just about any way that truly matters. And, personally, I wouldn't recommend either one lol. Just saying, that is definitely contradicting the lab results we can actually read, and verify with.

FrancaV

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
I was reading the dropdown info specifically for Android AV apps but apparently the Comments section lumps all of the AV Software and Apps together. I scrolled and scrolled and found mostly comments pertaining to desktops. My comment is specifically about the AV apps for Android:

I think this section needs updating as some of the best 2015 AV apps for Android are missing. Biggest is not necessarily best! In my case, I have recently uninstalled AVG (which, by the way, is very, very good) because I found something even better. It's called CM Security and was developed by the same people that bring us Clean Master. CM Security is completely free and has found a thing or two that the free version of AVG did not. And you have to upgrade to the paid AVG version in order to access many features that CM Security includes at no extra charge. It is very well reviewed everywhere it is included in testing. Highly recommended! (Just a garden variety user - I have no development skills whatsoever.)

Status
Not open for further replies.