Best backup solution for non OS SSD

M4v

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
I have a Samsung 850 pro 512gb ssd that I want to auto backed up every once a week to a 512gb hdd(internal) both to prevent data loss if the ssd fails and to prevent user error
Ive come up with 2 ways to accomplish this
1- Image backups with automatic deletion of old images according to availible hdd space with minimum 4 images
2- Synchronization of changed files

So my question is option 1 possible if so which is the best free software? However since the hdd is the same size as the ssd Im not sure whether it will be able to hold that much images
If option 1 is not possible then which software should I use for syncing?

If you want to know why Im trying to backup an ssd its because ssds fail suddenly and the data on this ssd is constantly being written to(yes I knw ssds are not meant to be constantly written to)
The reason im using an ssd is because I move around huge files and I need the speed

Edit: Not sure if this shud be in storage or software

Luminary

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
You need Crashplan.

It's a fantastic software and the free version allows for local backups to other installed drives. You can set everything from what folders you want backed up, to entire drives.

If you can afford 5$ a month you could also get their unlimited indivdual plan and backup your data to their cloud as well.

Works on Windows, Mac, and Linux (though Linux isn't quite as well supported).

USAFRet

Illustrious

Macrium Reflect will do what you need.
Either save Full images, keeping however many you want, deleting the oldest. Or based on available drive space.
Or, Full + Differential images.

My C drive has a full image every night at 2AM. Keep for 14 days, deleting the oldest.
Once a week, on Sunday at 3AM, a full image off to another system on the LAN. Keep for 4 weeks, deleting the oldest.

Or, for just file/folder copy, SyncBack Free.
Copies designated folders off to another drive, on whatever schedule you set.

I use a combination of both.

M4v

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
How much of an image size can I expect from Macrium v6 for around 400gb of files
As for crash plan since it doesn't support multiple backups its a no go

USAFRet

Illustrious

Depends on exactly what is on that drive.
If the C drive, Macrium automatically disregards temp files, pagefile, hibernation file. It also does a little bit of compression.

My C drive is currently 131GB used space.
A Macrium image of that drive is ~95GB.

M4v

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016

Does Macrium supports multiple backup locations as in 2 backup drives from a single source drive?
and since free version doesn't support incremental images is differential images larger?

USAFRet

Illustrious

1. Yes. That's how I do mine. My C drive image copied to a drive in this PC every night.
And then to another PC every Sunday night.
I don't know if it would do two locations at the same time.

2. I do not know.

Luminary

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
"and since free version doesn't support incremental images is differential images larger?"

It well depend on how many files you actually change per given backup. Differential backups TEND to be smaller because as the name suggests they only backup files and folders that have an updated time-stamp, so if you've only changed 20 files between differential backups there will only be 20 files to backup.

M4v

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
Macrium seems like it'll do exactly what I want so im gonna go with it
Thanks for the support guys