Best Bang-for-buck laptop for College Engineering?

Adam Ferrick

Honorable
May 8, 2013
1. What is your budget? $800 Max

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13-15in

3. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable, it's for college.

4. How much battery life do you need? ~5 hours

5. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Med-low is fine.

6. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) I'm majoring in engineering, so those associated programs (CAD, etc?)

7. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500GB is probably enough, I might buy an SSD additionally anyway, 128/256GB.

8. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. No specific site

9. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least the 4 years of undergrad.

10. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? No preference, but I imagine it would be helpful to have initially, though i might remove it to create space for an SSD.

11. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't have a preference on brands, but I would prefer one with good customer service in case something goes horribly, horribly wrong.

13. What country do you live in? USA

Suggestions/Recommendations?

(Edited for new information)

sonny8888

Estimable
May 15, 2014
The Y510P is a great laptop, but it's battery life is not very good if you are running at peak performance so I recommend a Y510P with extra batteries. You would still have to plug in the laptop to have the best performance. When I was running games on the laptop, it would have about 30fps ultra settings and stuff, but when I turned on the power, it started running at 50fps.

If it were me, i'd save up a bit more - buy a cheapy laptop that just does office workk, then buy a desktop to do all your rendering and transfer it over. Rendering requires such high specs to actually make a difference, anything that has those sorts of specs, you'd need to double or triple your budget.

Adam Ferrick

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I currently have a desktop that I built, so that part is covered. I was thinking of getting this http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/z-series/z40/?sb=:000001C9:00011E08:
It's a Lenovo Z40 with an i7 and 820M discrete. For the price it sounds pretty good.

Adam Ferrick

Honorable
May 8, 2013
I'm not really looking for a chromebook, as they can only use programs off the Chrome Store; no Windows or Play Store apps either.
For under $700 (699.39 to be exact) I can get an HP Envy 15t-j100 Quad Edition with i7-4700MQ, 840M dedicated graphics, 8GB RAM, and 1080p. It's the stock model with upgrades and a discount.
Thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS