Best budget unlocked phone?

dleavitt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
My wife and I are looking for good entry-level smartphones, but are a bit overwhelmed at the number of choices! I was hoping you guys might be able to help us out.

When: Within the next week.

Price: $100-200. Lower is better

Where: Not terribly particular. Had good experiences with Amazon and Newegg.

Compatibility: GSM compatibility required. Going to be used on T-Mobile

Brand: Not particular

Other: Wife thinks she wants a physical keyboard, I'm fine without. These will be our first smartphones, but we'd still like them to last a few years. Obviously, the less expensive the better but may be willing to stretch if it will get a considerably better phone.

Thanks in advance!

ssddx

Glorious
$100-200 for an "unlocked" phone is not going to buy you a whole lot. you might be able to get a refurbished or older generation phone but not current technology. most new phones retail at $400-600 brand new without a plan.

if you will be using tmobile and will be signing up for a contract you might as well take the discount on phones they offer as it is calculated into your plan costs! if you choose a pay-as-you-go or other non-contract plan it might be a good idea to go unlocked but unless you want to constantly switch carriers its not worthwhile.

with how current tech is progressing i would say you should get a dualcore phone. single core phones are still usable but are aging (but this means you could get them cheaper if you are okay with a slightly slower phone).

i'm still using my htc incredible and its held out well. installing a custom rom on android phones can get you quite a bit of options that aren't installed on or are block on stock phones such as free wifi tethering (vzw wants you to pay for the option!).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Cell Phone General Discussion 1
DeathTongue Cell Phone General Discussion 1
J Cell Phone General Discussion 2
S Cell Phone General Discussion 2
D Cell Phone General Discussion 3
A Cell Phone General Discussion 1
A Cell Phone General Discussion 1
B Cell Phone General Discussion 2
L Cell Phone General Discussion 1
T Cell Phone General Discussion 1
S Cell Phone General Discussion 1