Best Buy Has No Problem With PS3 Update Charge

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
So, when the customer buys an "updated" console in the morning, and that afternoon Sony releases another update (same day the purchase was done), the obvious impression will be that the update did not happen (from the consumer's point of view).
What then??

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
And why does best buy do this? Because they can't survive making $5 off every tv sold, unlike walmart. Their biggest competitor. Who DAMN NEAR bankrupt Best Buy 4 years ago during the weeks leading up to the superbowl by selling every TV BB sold as well, for $15 less a set.

BB can't compete with a company as big as thime (bigger even) that's willing to sell things for a loss. And make that loss back up in their grocery dept. BB doenst' sell chips and dip. They gotta make their money on accessories. Which is what their staff is trained to try and sell, not the main product, but the stuff that goes with it.

Hell I personally when selling a TV to a person, even if I don't work there (bite me I get dragged to walmart or W/E to help friends buy a TV) to invest in a new surge protector, its' a legitimate investment. But the profit margin on that is pretty good.

I'm not gonna bash BB of GS for this, they're just pilfering money from the stupid rich masses. Which live by the thousands in cookie cutter little mc-mansions near the coastline.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I should bring in a fully updated console with everything set up and ask them to update it for me. Lets see if they lie to me to get easy cash.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]Of course they don't see anything wrong. They're making a lot of money each time they sell one. They won't tell a customer that all you need to do is connect to the internet, turn the PS3 on and it will update automatically![/citation]

I've told people things like that before when helping them, they still don't get it. I guess it's lucky for them I'm not a businessman...

ehsieh

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Basically,

Their brains have two parts: the left & the right.
Their left brains have nothing right, and their right brains have nothing left.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Why is it Best Buy's responsibility to teach people how to do things? If I go to Mr. Smith's garage sale and buy a stained teapot for a dollar, clean it up and then turn around and sell it for fifty dollars, am I obligated to split the difference with Mr. Smith, since he couldn't be bothered to clean the teapot himself and find a buyer willing to pay more?

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]And why does best buy do this? Because they can't survive making $5 off every tv sold, unlike walmart.[/citation]

Complete and utter B.S. You can go online using froogle and find any TV for considerably less after shipping from 15 different legitmate stores. Are you telling me they are all selling at a loss?

No, Best Buy just isn't happy with a 40% profit margin, that's all.

I read an interview with the CEO of Best Buy. He's a tool IMHO.

G

Remember these are Playstation 3 owners, the same group who think a firmware update will allow their TV to be in 3D.

adillhoff

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
[citation][nom]precariousgray[/nom]Why not marginalize the entire service sector with your "holier-than-thou" attitude while you're at it?Disclaimer: your statement does not apply to me.[/citation]

+1 to my fan club.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Best Buy is no doubt preying on customer ignorance to make a buck on this one. Offering this service isn't bad but like many of Best Buy's services it seems overpriced for what it is. However, Best Buy is in business to make money so any service they offer to add revenue doesn't surprise me at all.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Can't Sony sue Bestbuy for this? They are making money off something Sony offers for free. It's kinda like me selling Windows Patches or even Graphics Drivers Updates that I didn't make to others. LOL open up a store and sell patch/driver updates services...haha.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
If, on their signs, they include the words "Optional assistance. Only for your convenience...". Then I think BestBuy would not be scoffed at. :)

dimcorner

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
They aren't charging for the products, they are charging for the service to install products that they don't know how to do. It doesn't matter if there is 1 or 10 different updates, they all cost the same to install labor wise.

And for all you that think charging for this kind of "easy" service is BS and should be offered free, I would like all of you to come mow my lawn for free since it's so easy to do. I have tried to tell my mom how to install printer drivers and she somehow manages to mess it up every time.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
P. T. Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born every minute." He knew how to run a business... apparently, so does Best Buy. :(

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
This is news? The reporter thought the store should've been against service charges? Their "optimization" service to remove the preinstalled software I would've though to be more obnoxious. This just reminds me of the local television news saying that they found a school with a door open all day and couldn't find any administrators that thought it was a problem, apparently it was only a problem in the reporter's opinion.

Scoop opportunity: They charge to plug RAM.

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
i have, and always will say, "kiss my *%$, bestbuy" they over charge for the merchandise they sell and, of that merchandise, the selection sucks...the selection of pc games and high-end pc components is nothing short of a bad, bad joke. and the odds of finding someone in-store to help you without having to hunt someone down? you have a better chance of winning the lottery. when you do find someone, it is quite comical to find out how little they know, when they try to double talk their way through their expertise of the product they are trying to sell

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]adillhoff[/nom]Need more nerds with GEDs to comment about how Geek Squad is bad.[/citation]
ok i am here to do it then i ridicule them and i go up to them ask them a ton of meaningless questions about the computer then after they are done i tell them off and be like you know shit go buy the one item i wanted like waires or something and walk-out plain and simple...ain't I a stinker :D

dragunover

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
LOL! I remember setting up an older model of the PS3's firmware from stock and it took a massive total of 1 minute after clicking on the big UPDATE SYSTEM FIRMWARE thing pops up

mirazh1976

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
[citation][nom]asiaprime[/nom]as a business I applaud them... as someone who knows better I hate them...[/citation]

Don't Hate, Educate.
That is how you can fight'em.
Or at the least, encourage people to be self sufficient and learn for themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.