Best Buy Lists Motorola's XOOM Tablet for $1,199

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
The item has since been pulled from their site, and BB has been known to use placeholders before. Nonetheless, people following this product are definitely going to be turned off if they see this and are unaware of it being a placeholder.

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
even if it is just a place holder price I'm still trying to figure out why ANYONE would spend 7 or 800 dollars for one of these things when you can spend 400 dollars more and build yourself a REALLY nice desktop...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Anybody remember when I said in another news article I said this would be a iPad killer?
I take it back.. here in Australia somehow the price seems to be $300+ more expensive per $1000 compared to the USA, so I can expect a shock when (if) it get's here..

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
even if it is just a place holder price I'm still trying to figure out why ANYONE would spend 7 or 800 dollars for one of these things when you can spend 400 dollars more and build yourself a REALLY nice desktop...

While many of us agree these devices are pricey, keep in mind the reason for them is desktops aren't meant to be portable.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
They will have a hard time selling them for more than the ipad costs. Samsung is doing OK with the Galaxy Tab but most people would just buy the ipad. I would and I HATE Apple.

OTOH I have friends that bought the Nook Color for $250, then rooted it and they have a fully functional Android tablet for a reasonable price.

fatdoi

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Anybody remember when I said in another news article I said this would be a iPad killer?I take it back.. here in Australia somehow the price seems to be $300+ more expensive per $1000 compared to the USA, so I can expect a shock when (if) it get's here..[/citation]

I'm not sure who will even touch it if it costs A$1500, when a similar sized netbook costs 1/4 of it

G

Perhaps BB and Motorola decided to leak a fake price to see what the response would be. Would the market support $1199? Some will pay that but the mass market will not.

G

What is this crap about forcing people to use 3G data for a month before "unlocking" WiFi? Android is supposed to be all about the open source idea. I want to use it as a portable desktop/notepad solution, not a glorified cell phone. Cell companies can all kiss my @$$ with this gestapo crap. I fcking H-A-T-E push technology.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
If its from the inventory system, toms hardware should ignore it. There's also a $10,000 laptop in inventory, but its priced that because its discontinued and no longer sellable.

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
They should close up shop now. I am sure once you sign up for the data service you will have to pay a huge cancellation fee after that month is up. I bet somewhere around $200-$300. So you are looking at a $1400-$1500 pos. If its $800 then still $1000-$1100. Don't think it'll go over too big

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]While many of us agree these devices are pricey, keep in mind the reason for them is desktops aren't meant to be portable.[/citation]

I understand that, if you need to be portable, you can also get a laptop that is rather nice for that price and have a BIG difference in performance and capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.