Best Buy Survey Describes $1499 42-inch Apple TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]My 42" 1080p TV has Android on it... all I do is connect the HDMI cable to my Cell phone and BAM! HDTV running Android.[/citation]
Sony actually sells TV's with Android on them. The Google TV system is currently on Android 3.2(my bluray player runs it).

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
1499 for a 42 inch? You got to be out of your damn mind Apple. Just because you put your logo on it doesn't mean it will sell esp for that price that you are asking when their is a lot of competition in the TV market. You can get a 46 inch 1080p 120hz LED Samsung TV for 150 dollars less.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]Another iOverpriced I$hit.[/citation]

With the rest of the market falling over itself to also produce some junky poorly implemented version.
You must think your chevy whatever is just as good as a porsche cause they both have 4 wheels and a steering wheel, etc. Sucks for you....

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]1499 for a 42 inch? You got to be out of your damn mind Apple. Just because you put your logo on it doesn't mean it will sell esp for that price that you are asking when their is a lot of competition in the TV market. You can get a 46 inch 1080p 120hz LED Samsung TV for 150 dollars less.[/citation]

Since you are obviously challanged at thinking what this really is.....
What would a PC with a 42 inch monitor cost? Hmmm... see your where your head is?

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Since you are obviously challanged at thinking what this really is.....What would a PC with a 42 inch monitor cost? Hmmm... see your where your head is?[/citation]

Significantly less than $1499

molinasonata

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I admire Apple for their ingenuity, however TV's are a commodity... People want them cheap and they will replace them faster than I replace my milk when it sours...

cybneo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
jeez that TV just looks like a huge iPad... Way too much $$ for that size. But i do like the idea of a cam for skpye. anyways i use Roku, which has way more features/channels..

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]can combine a $500 screen and $500 htpc for a better quality and more open experience.Granted, the Apple TV will be 'easier' to use and require little setting up. But then you could spend $500 for someone to do that and end up with a better product.One final point, I doubt these TV's will be upgradeable, nor support 3d by the looks.Target market then - rich imbeciles[/citation]

Yea, and keep hiring that guy each time the config break or the PC just decides it no longer wants to recognize the setup. I used to manage my parents PC and every couple of weeks had to fix something. Often it was "user" error but that didn't change the fact that I had to fix something.
Got them an iPad and after showing my parents how to use it haven't had to fix a problem (over a year). You tech heads seem unable to grasp that computers need to be turnkey for general public use. And you guys waste your time custom building your PCs.... We don't do that with cars, etc anymore except as a hobby. So kudos to Apple for creating consumer tech. And feel sorry for you guys who have to bash while you waste your time wrangling your awkward PCs....

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Maybe if it had:
Intel Core i7
8 GB of RAM or more
HD 6950 or GTX 560 Ti
Plus a SSD for fast booting and application loading.
1 TB storage drive with RAID 1 for mirror backup. (With ability to use it as a DVR)

That kind of hardware would make this thing a little more worth that king's ransom price tag. And if they REALLY wanted to appeal to the masses they would make it a 55" HDTV (120Hz) with 3D and a Blu-Ray drive. (Doing that would be a smart move and would put this thing in MANY more homes than it would be otherwise.)

But...
it's apple so this thing isn't really a high powered, it won't be much (if any) better than a tablet.
Basically an iPad is a Huge iPhone that can't make calls. An iTV (or whatever they end up calling it) will just be a bigger version of the iPad and iPhones with maybe 1 or 2 extra features.

Seriously anyone here at Tomhardware should know that $1,499 for a 42" with an iPad built in is not worth the price.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]roffle my samsung 32 inch cost me the same and iwe yet to c a better screen and im extremly picky. altho if you go to plasma iwe seen a bit better so if its a bit off a upgrade id + the extra 10" id say its worth the money some whot.[/citation]

You sir are a horribly stupid consumer if you purchased a 32" HDTV for that price.

(If your upset that your were an early adopter of HDTVs years ago when they were that expensive, then your entire argument is moot. That would be like me comparing today's HDTVs ($500-1000) to the $3000 50"+ 240Hz 3D TVs that are out now.) Early adopters of the latest technology always pay more, in a few years time, the exact same $3000-$5000 TVs will be well under $1000, and this Apple TV is no 'high-end' piece of equipment.

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]can combine a $500 screen and $500 htpc for a better quality and more open experience.[/citation]
Or a more expensive screen (bigger/more functions) and a $35 RaspberryPi with XBMC (which you can control with your WiFi-enabled phone, provided you have a working router/AP at home), if everything goes well... hihihi

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]can combine a $500 screen and $500 htpc for a better quality and more open experience.Granted, the Apple TV will be 'easier' to use and require little setting up. But then you could spend $500 for someone to do that and end up with a better product.One final point, I doubt these TV's will be upgradeable, nor support 3d by the looks.Target market then - rich imbeciles[/citation]

Funny how you can compare a failed product in MCE with no solid way to extend with the exception of the XBox (although I thought it had potential) and a 500 dollar computer (which is BS because the cable card tuners are not cheap) with a rumored unreleased product from Apple. Who is the fanboy again? It seems that Anti-Apple people exhibit as much sheepish behavior as some Apple people.

Personally, I am a big fan on Samsung TV's and have 3 of them in my home and 1 Sony. Apple would have to really pull this one out strong to get me to consider it. If you are a person that likes technology, innovation, and new approaches to things you have to pay attention to what Apple is going to do. They are not just going to release something that does what every other TV vendor does. They are going to put a spin on it to differentiate.

I personally have an Apple TV hooked up to my Samsung and store everything in Itunes and just stream to it. Works well for it's intended purpose which is the centralize my movie collection. I have ripped all my DVD's and imported them into ITunes after running MetaX on them and I see the DVD covers and everything. Even have Babies Can Read in there for my kids. Works fine.

Try and take a realistic look at the tech for what it is. Hating on something just because it is popular to hate on manufacture of it really makes you miss out on some pretty cool tech and also make you look like an idiot when you try to give reasons why you don't like a product because you have no experience to back up what you are saying.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Yea, and keep hiring that guy each time the config break or the PC just decides it no longer wants to recognize the setup. I used to manage my parents PC and every couple of weeks had to fix something. Often it was "user" error but that didn't change the fact that I had to fix something.Got them an iPad and after showing my parents how to use it haven't had to fix a problem (over a year). You tech heads seem unable to grasp that computers need to be turnkey for general public use. And you guys waste your time custom building your PCs.... We don't do that with cars, etc anymore except as a hobby. So kudos to Apple for creating consumer tech. And feel sorry for you guys who have to bash while you waste your time wrangling your awkward PCs....[/citation]

My pc works just fine & I built it myself, nothing awkward about it. Apple certainly appeals to the general consumer, but if those consumers ever develop any tech skill & want more then it's too bad for them.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
My apologies, my previous comment applies better to the pc category. However Apple is going to need to make this TV something great for that price, not just an average 42" tv with the Apple brand slapped on it.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
$1500 for a 42" TV when you can buy a $600 42" TV and $400 HTPC and achieve the same results? No thanks.

Besides the last thing I need is another device to play Angry Birds and Cut The Rope on, and browse Facebook and Youtube.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
LOL. Can buy a better, bigger, 1080P 120Hz LED for half the price. With all that extra money, you can get a an Xbox360 with Kinect or PS3 (blu-ray) and still have several $100s left over. This is just a fancy TV with that Apple TV built-in. This new Apple TV can play apps now of course. I'd much rather use a 360 or PS3 for Hulu, Netflix, etc. Apple Tv shows are overpriced, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.