Best Buy Survey Describes $1499 42-inch Apple TV

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Can't wait for Apple to sue all the TV manufacturers for stealing the TV invention created by Apple.[/citation]
I can't wait for Apple to be sued by Independant Televison for using ITV, the biggest commercial television network in the UK, which is a clear violation of trademark
http://www.itv.com/

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Star72[/nom]My pc works just fine & I built it myself, nothing awkward about it. Apple certainly appeals to the general consumer, but if those consumers ever develop any tech skill & want more then it's too bad for them.[/citation]

You just proved that you know absolutely nothing about Apple or their tech. I am Network Security Engineer. I penetration test from my Mac because it gives me the power of BSD under the hood, a strong user interface, and I still have Microsoft Office to do my documentation. I game on my PC that I built and have no problems with either and will probably be building a new one shortly even though I prefer to use my Mac.

People that make asshole assumptions that somehow they are smart just because they know how to build a PC is hilarious. I taught my Dad how to build a PC when I was 12 years old and he barely even knows how to use Windows even to this day and I am 36 now. He is just a consumer that knows how to build and select the right hardware. Give me a break.

I have yet to meet a PC guy with an open mind and is willing to just try something different for more than a week try a Macbook Pro or something and not walk away impressed with the solution as a whole. They still keep their gaming PC and that is about it and I work with some the most amazing talents in IT. Guys that literally shape the industry and build innovative products from storage to data protection and encryption, to event correlation, to Infrastructure and Security and more recently Mobile Device Management.

There are people at all levels that enjoy working with Apple, Linux, MS, Sun, BeOS, you name it. I have worked with all of them happen to like OSX the best and I am far from being alone.

Try going to Defcon one time and you will notice that 50-60% of those guys have Macbooks or Macbook Pro's. Do you think those guys are not technical?

In short...... get over yourself.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]__Miguel_[/nom]Or a more expensive screen (bigger/more functions) and a $35 RaspberryPi with XBMC (which you can control with your WiFi-enabled phone, provided you have a working router/AP at home), if everything goes well... hihihi[/citation]
XBMC rules, best HTPC software EVAR

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Well, I bought a 40" Sony GoogleTV for 500$ for the bedroom and I really like it (and the wife loves it for her browsing). I guess if the iPeople want their version for 3x the price they can have it.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]XBMC rules, best HTPC software EVAR[/citation]

XBMC is pretty slick, I have used it back when it was just getting started on the XBox 1. It was slick then and is allot better now. The only problem is that it is not something that is turnkey. Takes some work to get going. It is not all that elegant of a solution as a whole but for people that don't mind putting in the effort it is a very nice solution. Although it has a great interface it is a bit on the clunky side. If they spent some time smoothing the transitions out I think that would take it over the top. Also I wish they would just change the name so that it just does not sound like a XBox mod. It runs on allot more stuff now.

PLEX is also a slick solution as well.

G

There is no reason TV's these days shouldn't have a decent processor and at least tablet Os's built in. There is no reason for them to not have a full blown os.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
raspberry pi 35$
lcd 400$
linux software 0$
TOTAL: 435$

same lcd
same electronics
subtotal: 435$
worse software
apple logo
TOTAL: $1499

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I always like to read Apple news on AnandTech rather than Tomshardware for the reason that AnandTech users make more open-minded comments on Apple.
They can accept the fact that, maybe, maybe Apple got something going on, maybe they're on to something "better"(interesting), maybe they'll "revolutionize" TV industry too. There's got to be a reason why Apple products are very "popular" and that their stocks are at all time high. There's got to be a reason why they are able to sell millions of millions phone and tablets.

Come on, I thought IT people are more open-minded than the general audience. You got to be more subjective, can't let emotions get in your way.(You can't hate Apple products because it is made by Apple with an Apple logo on it)
I got about 5 PC/laptops at home for different purpose and yet my latest purchase was a 13" MacBook Air. Because I see something in MBA. Yes, it is expensive, the most expensive computer I ever bought. But is it worth it? Yes, because it lets me experience something different(OSX, I still prefer windows 7 for my everyday experience). I love the touchpad on it(best internet browsing experience I ever have on a computer), no windows laptop comes close. The screen quality of MBA just made me smile every time I looked at it.(I got a Dell UltraSharp 22" for my desktop)

Anyway, this writing is becoming much longer than I expected. My point is that, you can't dismiss a product before you even know it's spec. Be open mind, be logically.
I know I'm interest to see this new TV, if it has a great quality screen(I watch a lot of movies, so I will pay extra for top quality screens from Samsung/LG.) If it has hand gestures to change channels/volumes, or be voice commanded. Then I think I will spend the money and impress my friends with this future tech :)

drchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I am confused. How is this any better than Apple TV as a $99 set box with the OS available now. How can this even remotely compete against Samsung with an swappable brain and Kinect like features with voice. Hell even XBOX is already like this, but separate. At least separate I don't need to shell out extra money every time I want to upgrade an already great working TV. Samsung's feature of swapping will decimate Apple

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Star72[/nom]My pc works just fine & I built it myself, nothing awkward about it. Apple certainly appeals to the general consumer, but if those consumers ever develop any tech skill & want more then it's too bad for them.[/citation]
I can throw gaming PC's together in a few hours, RMA faulty components, (spend hours optimising a Windows slipstream install), curse when a USB mouse or keyboard or peripheral randomly fails to initialise at startup, and play games with plenty of CTD's or BlueScreens...It's all very easy, but frustrating.
Mac's I plug in and use for months and months and months on end without a single hiccough. I can even play Valve games on them.
It's the bisexuality of computing.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]tmshdw[/nom]Yea, and keep hiring that guy each time the config break or the PC just decides it no longer wants to recognize the setup. I used to manage my parents PC and every couple of weeks had to fix something. Often it was "user" error but that didn't change the fact that I had to fix something.Got them an iPad and after showing my parents how to use it haven't had to fix a problem (over a year). You tech heads seem unable to grasp that computers need to be turnkey for general public use. And you guys waste your time custom building your PCs.... We don't do that with cars, etc anymore except as a hobby. So kudos to Apple for creating consumer tech. And feel sorry for you guys who have to bash while you waste your time wrangling your awkward PCs....[/citation]

You must really be terrible at setting up PCs for people. I can make a Windows Machine childproof. Hell, wipe the system clean install a anti-virus remove internet explorer and install chrome and someone has to be looking for trouble to run into a problem.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
~in some regards, people these days are just lazy when it comes to building something of their own..
well to each their own... If you want it bad enough you will build your own. and save yourself quite abit of beer money ( soda for you minors out there.)

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
[citation][nom]molinasonata[/nom]TV's are a commodity... People want them cheap and they will replace them faster than I replace my milk when it sours...[/citation]
I think that is the apple goal: release a new product every year that the ifans will consume and dump their old product in droves; thereby, 1.) destroying the resale value of the old product, and 2.) continually selling product.
I will never join the iherd.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
How about just taking the company name out of the equation. Put the TV's side by side and compare the features of each then determine which is the best TV. Then map the results to your requirements and then show the prices. Now you can say is TV "A" features worth the price premium to me or is TV "B" better for me because it meets my requirements. Allot of people just want a TV to be as cheap as possible and just show the shows they want to see clearly, some want really good image quality and some want image quality with a boat load of features and some are will to sacrifice one for the other. It all depends on the person and at the end of the day they are all making the right decision for themselves.

So who is anyone on this site to tell them that because one of the selection is now Apple that they don't know what they are talking about?

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
mdwilliam1985 , I can tell you what Apple offer, and it's not technology, it's a service.

They offer simplicity at a cost. A cost I believe is extortionate and flat out abuses their fan base.

It's also a mental thing, whereby the inflated prices create the belief that the products are higher quality.

Apple have their place, but when people and tech reporters come on the interwebs telling me that it's 'better' and 'revolutionary', it's wrong.

What they have to be admired for is spotting a market trend, forcing a market trend, marketting and the ability to extract very profitable margins, and this appears to garner more fans than inventing/developing the idea or making a better product.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]raspberry pi 35$lcd 400$linux software 0$TOTAL: 435$same lcdsame electronicssubtotal: 435$worse softwareapple logoTOTAL: $1499[/citation]

So you are doing to ROI calculation using recycled hardware. Yea, that is a fair comparison.

$435 solution time to setup for average user 2-24 hours depending on experience.

New Solution (of any brand) time to setup for average user = 10-15 minutes no experience necessary.

Take a guess at what 99% of the people are going to choose. People have allot of other things that occupy their time both technical and non-technical.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nomPeople have allot of other things...[/citation]
People allot time to other things... ?
People have a lot of other things... ?
People have a lot of other things that occupy their time, like learning how to spell.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom][citation][nom]ap3x[/nomPeople have allot of other things...[/citation]People allot time to other things... ?People have a lot of other things... ?People have a lot of other things that occupy their time, like learning how to spell.[/citation]

[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]So you are doing to ROI calculation using recycled hardware. Yea, that is a fair comparison.$435 solution time to setup for average user 2-24 hours depending on experience.New Solution (of any brand) time to setup for average user = 10-15 minutes no experience necessary.Take a guess at what 99% of the people are going to choose. People have allot of other things that occupy their time both technical and non-technical.[/citation]

I am sorry? Try learning how to read before you tell someone to learn how to spell. Reading is fundamental after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.