best camera for 600$

thob30

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Hi everyone. I currently own a 10 year old crappy camera, and i want to upgrade to something quite sweet. I need it to be capable of great low light photography and nice detail (kind of review stuff).
I've seenthe nikon d5500, which seems pretty good, but i was also looking at some higher end used cameras. I found the nikon d700, but it is quite old. I also need it to be good at video.Have you got any suggestions?

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
With DSLR's and mirrorless, you're not just buying a camera, you're also buying into a whole system.

The body is but one small part of it. The lenses will (eventually) cost you far more than the camera body.
And at a particular price point, anything from one of the majors will have similar image quality. Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Pentax, Sony...

The main differences are features and ergonomics.
The Nikon you mention is great. So is a Canon at the same price level.

I have a Canon DSLR (with several lenses) and a Panasonic GX85. The Panasonic body is fantastic, jam-packed with features for its price range. Optically, the lenses are fine too. But the physical lens construction leaves a lot to be desired. I used it for my eclipse photos, and with just the solar filter mounted the lens frame bent enough that it couldn't focus. The video I shot during totality came out fine, but during the partial phases it was blurry.

I've never had a problem like that with my Canon lenses. They're sturdy enough you could use them to hammer nails if you needed to (not that I'd recommend doing so).

I don't think this will impact OP's camera use. But it's just something to keep in mind since as USAFRet says, you're not buying just a camera body, you're buying a lens system.

envy14tpe

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

I had a Canon DSLR with couple lenses. But video capability was too be desired. On a budget of $600 it could be tough to get a DSLR. The Nikon D5500 is a very good camera but I'm not sure if you can find it under $700. It will take great pictures and good videos.

Solution

envy14tpe

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I'd get a new d5500. It has a LCD screen that tilts out and can help with video work. Photos are the same. But the d5500 weighs less. Plus buying new gives warranty.

https://www.lightandmatter.org/2015/equipment-reviews/nikon-d5500-vs-d7100-which-should-you-buy/

thob30

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
I found a used nikon d600 for around 550. What would be a good general purpose glass (as cheap as possible) knowing that i'm going to upgrade it as soon as i have enough money?

envy14tpe

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Photos will turn out great but the best you can do is 1080p 30fps in videos. That's the only drawback I really see in the camera for your needs. It's nice getting the 60fps. More fluid.