Best cheap 4k box/stick for streaming from a laptop via plex

Fran Wade

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Hey I'm looking for a 4k mkv player for my TV. It's a Panasonic so it won't play a lot of 4k files direct and Plex seems to buffer when streaming from my laptop. So basically what set top box/Chromecast/stick would people recommend for streaming from laptop without decoding.

Solution
Perhaps use any ARM or x86-based hardware that you can put a copy of KODI on. Should support:
a) KODI
b) NVENC/H.265 decoder
c) 4K
d) optional: USB for HDD
e) wi-fi
f) optional: ethernet

(there's so many on Amazon you have to look close... I'll do a quick look after I post this. BTW, if you don't have 4K videos you don't need a 4K media device. very few 4K videos out there)

Then you go into KODI and point it to the proper folder and it will add pictures etc for the movies or even TV shows it finds.

I actually use a WDMYCLOUD which is plugged into my router via an Ethernet cable. So it always is connected and accessible by every PC or media device (though BluRay players that have this capability will not play some 2013+...
Perhaps use any ARM or x86-based hardware that you can put a copy of KODI on. Should support:
a) KODI
b) NVENC/H.265 decoder
c) 4K
d) optional: USB for HDD
e) wi-fi
f) optional: ethernet

(there's so many on Amazon you have to look close... I'll do a quick look after I post this. BTW, if you don't have 4K videos you don't need a 4K media device. very few 4K videos out there)

Then you go into KODI and point it to the proper folder and it will add pictures etc for the movies or even TV shows it finds.

I actually use a WDMYCLOUD which is plugged into my router via an Ethernet cable. So it always is connected and accessible by every PC or media device (though BluRay players that have this capability will not play some 2013+ movies..possibly some earlier ones, as they've started to add a Cinavia audio watermark.. it's built into the BluRay machines from 2013+)

Solution
Not sure there is a cheap AND reliable 4K device out there... this one is $120USD so not exactly cheap:
https://www.amazon.com/MINIX-U1-64-bit-Quad-Core-Android/dp/B018K36GMY/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1511256286&sr=8-10&keywords=4k+kodi

ROKU devices only play specific audio and video codes, but the above type device should play nearly everything.

I saw $40 devices but do they even work well?
https://www.amazon.com/HONGYU-Android-Amlogic-Ethernet-Player/dp/B06XRF3Z7X/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1511256507&sr=8-17&keywords=4k+kodi

kajjot

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I'm using amazon fire stick for netflix and plex. Connected on AC wireless and 1Gbps ethernet to plex server.
No buffering or slowness. Don't have a 4k device but can't image there being problems.
Make sure you're network is up to the job.