Best Cheap Laptop For Browsing SSD + 8GB Ram ?!

Jeune Padawan

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015
Hey. Basically, my mother needs a new laptop since her broke. I'd like to get her one but I can't find one that has the specifications that I want.

The specs that I want:

- It needs to be slim
- Full HD or not
- No gpu
- 8gb ram
- 128gb ssd or 64gb ssd
- no optical drive needed either

I simply want something slim and fast. No need for a gpu or a good cpu. Simply something really fast for browsing internet, loading up windows, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've been looking at many websites and I can't find the one that I want.

* As a side note, I live in Canada so I can't buy from amazon.com!

Solution

Greetings, Jeune Padawan:

Firstly, I'm a bit confused by your requirements. On the one hand you want something "slim and fast", but then you say it doesn't have to be "a good cpu". Speed begins with the CPU, so I'm including an Intel i5 CPU below. If price is a concern (and at some level it's bound to be), I've also included an Intel Celeron CPU - much cheaper but also nowhere near "something really fast".

All right, here are 2 laptops in 2 different price ranges:

Acer 15.6" CAD499
https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-Aspire-E5-532-P4YC-Quad-core-Windows/dp/B01KH19WH8/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479491491&sr=1-5

HP 15.6" CAD880
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1DN-000B-000H1CVF

They both have 8GBs of RAM but the Acer uses a mechanical HDD. It also uses an Intel Celeron CPU which is designed to do the absolute minimum required to run a computer. The HP uses an Intel i5 Skylake CPU which is significantly faster, but also much more expensive. The built-in GPU will handle games like Minecraft and World of Warcraft, if that's relevant. The HP also comes with a touch-screen.

These 2 laptops are fairly representative of the options available - given your requirements.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Jeune Padawan

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015

Hi. Do you think there are other possibilities if it's 4gb of ram? Is it even possible to have something like a 64gb ssd, 4gb ram, decent cpu in a slim laptop at around 500$ canadian?

What are the options for the "fastest" laptop at around 250$?

Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it.

With 4GBs of RAM and 64GBs of SSD storage we are effectively looking at eMMC tablets and chromebooks (i.e. like very large smartphones). Sizes are typically 10" and 11".

ASUS Transformer 10.1" at CDN400:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232805&ignorebbr=1

Dell Inspiron 11.6" at CDN273:
https://www.amazon.ca/Dell-Inspiron-Laptop-Celeron-I3162-0000BLU/dp/B01BTW4QNE/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1479552980&sr=1-2

Lenovo Chromebook 11.6" at CDN197:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834321573

The ASUS is the closest I can get to your requirements, but at 10.1" it is rather small. Mind you, the specifications are definitely OK - it's basically designed to compete with the fastest smartphones rather than any traditional computer.

The Dell is slightly larger, but it is really a 'gutted-out' PC squeezed into a tablet format. And if you look at the Lenovo Chromebook, the specifications are on par with any mainstream smartphone. These devices are essentially aimed at people who would like their Apple or Samsung smartphone to have a bigger screen.

At CDN500 you get slightly better specifications and a few more options in terms of panel size. At CDN300 and below, you're looking at (very) large smartphones, usually with 16GBs of storage and 2GBs of RAM, like most smartphones. 64GBs of eMMC storage will send you past CDN400 with a slow-poke Intel Celeron CPU.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution

Jeune Padawan

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015

Thanks a lot for the help. I think the concept of the ASUS Transformer Book is very nice. The fact that you can kind of seperate it from the keyboard is really cool. Are there other ones like that? Otherwise, I'll probably take that one.

Very good suggestion thanks :)

Jeune Padawan

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015

Very well then. What do you think about the ASUS Transformer laptop? Do you think it'll be rather quite quick to start up windows, browse on the internet, use word, etc?

I just want her to have a reliable fast laptop for the daily usage.

Thanks.

Personally, I think the ASUS is a great machine! If you think your mother will be OK with a 10.1" format, I can't honestly find anything remotely rivalling this device.

When replying to posts like yours, I try not to 'sell' one brand or model over another, because that's not what Tom's Hardware Forum is about. I'm a heavy Lenovo user myself, but that doesn't mean the whole world must abide by my particular taste or experience. But, of course, I don't mind offering my personal opinion when asked.

Best of luck (to both of you),
GreyCatz.

Jeune Padawan

Estimable
Jul 17, 2015

Thank you very much for your help. You helped me out more than I could hope for! It really is quite relieving to know that there are people as knowledgeable as you out there to help you.

May you live a long and happy life :)