jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you overclock, the intell pIII will be faster than the Athlon because of the high FSB. If you don't they are pretty close to being the same.

Jeff

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you look at the SETISPY software under compare the performance of the different CPUs they say the INTEL cpus are faster. What do you think about this?

I have three machines running SETI none overclocked.
Celeron 400 about 12 hours
Duron 600 about 11 hours
K6 300 About 20 hours

I am going to upgrade soon and trying to decide whether to get a PIII 850Mhz or a T-Bird 950 since on Pricewatch they are both about the same price. I might try to overclock this new system as well. Which should be faster? I am also leaning towards the PIII only because I have an Asus P2B now and I am hoping that I can use the PIII in it, but I am not sure about that and will most likely have to buy a new motherboard anyway. When I see other people's scores with various CPUs looks like both Intel and AMD CPUs are about the same.

Any ideas?

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you running the text-only version or graphical version?

The command line Is faster. I'd bet you would be under 10 hours with the command line for your duron 600.

Jeff

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Assimulator, Jump ship and join with Tommy's group! Anandtech doesn't need you. Why you know that teeniebopper has a great site, almost as good as Tom's Hardware's but not quite, and I know he has had his Seti team for a while. Well we are just getting started. We would really appriciate your 3,300+ units. Come on? What do you say? You will be a star over here. You can help us make a Tom's Hardware SETI page.

Oh, I am using the 2.4 GUI version. I moved over to the 3.0 CLI version on the Celeron 400 and I am beating the Duron 600 by an hour. I heard SETI runs better with Intel CPUs, I will know soon when I get them both running the CLI version. Before with the GUI version there almost the same.

By the way, Anand "the TeenieBopper" Shrimpi's Seti Team is 25th not 13th.

PS: If that kid is so smart why did he go to NC State, that is such a crap school. He should have gone to MIT or Cal Tech. Now I know the rumors must be true, his Computer Science teaching father helps him to run the site. It's all a big scam. Dr. Thomas Pabst is a Surgeon and went to the best Medical School in Germany (very competitive place for Medical School). NC State is such a crap school.