Best Free AV

nms71

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Title says it all. I am looking to dump the software that came on my new PC McAfee because I heard awful things about it plus what I have is a trial anyways. Looking something free :)

bambiboom

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

nms71,

I used Norton for years until I discovered how it aggressively dominated the computer [then, a Dell dimension 8400 P4]- it actually ran more slowly. Task Manager tattled!

I also used AVG Free along time- nice clean interface, but I got constant pop up prompts to upgrade to the premium version and it also presented me with false virus and mal-ware messages. I know this as these appeared on my second computer that I used for HD recording an HP elite m9426f and after setting it up I ran with the network disconnected. I'd have messages about every two weeks, "AVG just blocked a malicious site URL loading a trojan horse or etc." when it had been two months or more since it was connected to the Web! When these messages appeared, it would halt the recording Cakewalk Sonar), and I lost hours of irreplaceable work. There may be a reasonable explanation, but AVG just seemed to get in my face when ever it felt like it and I don't tolerate utilities that destroy files! After a couple of instances of this, I switched to Avast Free,and added Malwarebytes Malware- also free and while it too, pops up caution messages, it doesn't kill the file I'm making.

So, yes, I'd recommend trying both Avast Free and Malwarebytes. Effective, good interface with a good amount of control, and the price is unbeatable! I like Avast enough-and appreciate almost two years free use- that I'm planning to go for their paid version. I've fortunately had only two or three minor and but one serious virus problem and that was enough. My friend in Switzerland had viruses twice that together cost her almost $2,000 in tech fees - the files had to be extracted in the way a dead HD is done.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

sarahmsarah

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
I recommend you try Unthreat Antivirus, it's a free antivirus and I think it works great. My favorite part is that it doesn't slow down my computer when scanning, I read a lot of (positive) reviews before I decided to try it out so I knew I was doing the right thing! I totally recommend this!

alexalbert

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I my using the paid version of Norton antivirus. Its fulfill all my needed and i never face any virus problem by using this antivirus. Else you want to make a dump of free antivirus then you use Norton. In the free version you didn't get the benefits of Norton given by him like Norton support, Norton help and many more.

TechGuyAlabama

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I've used Microsoft Essentials and I don't think it was near as good at finding threats as other programs.

I have used Kaspersky but it slowed my gaming down quite a bit. I disabled it and everything ran fine.

I have been using Avast Free for about 6 months and I've had no issues with it. It's prompted me when it saw suspicious programs and hasn't slowed me down.

I would also suggest looking at Malwarebytes. I use both of these currently and it's not slowing me down at all. I am a programmer that I use rdp to get into my home computer and work and I've not had any issues with either of them.

edwardsmith

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
So many antivirus are available in the market you can use any antivirus software for dump the main thing is that how you get help from "Antivirus Service" team of your antivirus in the free versions