Best gaming headset preferably under $100

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardcoreGamer1

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
I have a z87 pro with a DTS UltraPC (I think). Currently I have seen the HyperX Cloud for $77 and the second one for $90. Are there better options than these, and if not, which of these is better. I'm looking to have virtual 7.1 surround sound on them, which the DTS UltraPC II has. I feel like this description is horrible, but oh well. Thanks in advance!

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
The HyperX Cloud is the only gaming headset I would look into. A lot of other ones on the market are mediocre in sound and build quality and overpriced. If you wanted an easy solution, that would be the one.

If you wanted to try something a little different you could look into buying a pair of good stereo headphones and attaching a mic to them. Essentially turning them into a headset. Your options become much broader and as far as bang for your buck that is the way to go. You could use them standalone, or get virtual surround sound via software like Razer Surround or through a soundcard. The soundcard would probably a better option but that alone would take up your entire budget.

HardcoreGamer1

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014

How would I put a mic on it? Would I like tape it or something? Cuz that would look horrible. And I havent researched on mics at all or headphones by themselves, could you help me. And if I should just go with a headset, whats the difference between Cloud and Cloud 2.

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
It comes with the mic.

hscp-bottom-slider-headset-img009.jpg

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

There aren't many differences. I believe it's the same headphone, just that the II has virtual surround sound and an improved mic.

As far as attaching a mic to a pair of headphones goes, you have a lot of options available. It really depends on the headphones you are getting and where it would be convenient to place the mic. Some have attached it against the earcups or strain relief. Other have use adhesives/velcro. You could use tape, but there are a lot of other cleaner ways to do it.

Here's some ideas:

AEGWV4S.jpg

197_zpsd1a71ddd.jpg

900x900px-LL-ffacd07b_P1030369.jpeg

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Two nights ago, I was sitting here doing what I do, and suddenly I start seeing the little box pop up repeatedly telling me that a device had been unplugged and then plugged into the audio port. And after a couple of minutes, I got a notice that some USB devices where no longer functioning. At the time, I was not using my headset, and nothing was using sound. But the notices just kept coming, and I was trying to figure out what was going on. Finally, I reached up to the front panel to pull the plug for the headset out, and the first thing that I realized was that the area was wet, and then a drop of water hit the back of my hand. I look up, and there was a hook up there that I had ignored since I moved in, and water was dripping from it. I immediately powered down and moved my computer. I removed the side panels, dried what I could reach, and aimed a fan at the computer overnight.

The water leak was fixed within an hour of the time I found my computer wet, but I left my computer sitting on the other side of the room with the fan aimed at it for 8 hours. Finally, I had to know if it still worked. So I hooked it back up, and fired it up. It got to the desktop, and I logged in, and all appeared to be well. And then I plugged in the headset, and all I could get was a crackle and a pop. I was not happy...

Later on in the day, when I had more time, I tried the audio ports on the back of the motherboard, and the headsets work there, but the volume is much lower from those ports than the front panel ports, and it has been that way since I put the system together. So the headset is not dead, but the from panel is either toast or is still wet down inside the plug.

So I spent a couple of hours digging around last night checking reviews on headsets and various other things related to them. I keep coming back to the Hyper X Cloud II. One thing that is attractive to me right now is that it is USB based, but will also work without the USB base if you prefer doing it that way. It claims to be virtual 7.1, but I know that virtual 7.1 with a 2 can headset is not much to brag about. But what I want is the headset amp and the flexibility that I would have in just being able to use the 3.5mm plugs if I wanted to.

I'm going to wait another day or two before I make a choice on exactly what I am going to do, in the hope that the front panel will dry out and start working again. But if it does not, I will probably go with the HyperX Cloud II headset.

HardcoreGamer1

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
I'm still liking the idea of a headset more than headphones and myself attaching a mic to it. But, my question now is how the virtual surround sound will be on the Cloud versus the Cloud 2's onboard sound. I will mainly be gaming on it, but I may listen to some music (metalcore). The extra $13 isn't really an issue. So whats the best option?

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
One thing that I think needs to be cleared up here... As far as I can tell, there really is no Hyperx Cloud, except for in the name. Nothing gets sent to a cloud for processing or anything, in fact, they keep saying no drivers are needed. Its just the virtual 7.1 surround thing and the amp that are pulling power from the USB port, and doing their things in that little plastic box in the USB cable going to the headset. And if you do not like what the little plastic box is doing, you can unplug the two wires that have the 3.5mm connectors and use it on the front or back panel.

The original cloud headset is all analog. No USB cable. No plastic box on the USB cable. No amp. No 7.1 surround. Other than that, its the same headset as the Cloud II from what I read last night. And about $25 cheaper.

The Cloud II has the USB cable with the amp and the 7.1 surround sound. And that is the difference. Amazon has them for $94. That seemed to be the best deal on them that I saw. Newegg wanted $100.

HardcoreGamer1

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014

Thanks. I have never gotten the idea that it sent stuff over the cloud. I'm liking the idea for the original one, and getting a sound card. I'm gonna google around for a bit for one, and I'm open to any suggestions. I know NOTHING about them right now, just graphics cards, and everything else.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
The Asus Xonar DG/DGX are cheap options which have Dolby Headphone virtual surround sound. However check to see if you have virtual surround sound with your motherboard. You may not need an external sound card unless you have a problem driving the headphones or come across issues with the integrated DAC such as hissing, crackling, popping ,etc if that's the case.

HardcoreGamer1

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014

Forgot to check on this thread for a few days. Yeah, I'll get the Cloud, and then if I have trouble with the onboard, and if I have trouble I'll get the DG/X. Although, I looked at the difference and saw the DG is PCI and the DGX is PCI-E. Whats the difference. If I remember right, its the power cables from the psu. So nvm, I'll just open my case up and see which one I should get if I have trouble. Thanks!

MarkW

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
PCI Express (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express), officially abbreviated as PCIe, is a high-speed serial computer expansion bus standard designed to replace the older PCI, PCI-X, and AGP bus standards.

In other words, PCI is the oldest PCI, and while some motherboards still have a PCI slot or 3, most have moved on to have only 1 or none at all. PCIe 3.0 is the current PCIe.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Look at your motherboard and see which slots you have available. Your PSU has nothing to do with it. Keep in mind other future additions you might want to add such as a second graphics card or wireless network adapter. A PCI slot will be physically different than a PCI-E slot and they do not have reverse compatibility.

The DG/DGX are the exact same card spec wise, just use different expansion slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.