Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Hey guys i will get straight to the point , thanks for any help in advance :)
Budget:1500-1800$
Gaming resolution:full hd-1080p(1920x1080)
Gaming Graphics - Mid-high (dont play at epic or ultra)
ssd 128gb at least with hdd 500gb at least(total space 500gb+ with ssd for windows+1game at least)
***the laptop is for university as well and programming since i'm gonna be studying software engineer.(if that matters :D)
2)for about 1800$ i can get razer blade stealth the i7 7500u with razer core and a gtx 1060 .. should i go for that ? but i doubt the core thing and even more doubt the dual core i7 is it good enough?

Solution
Razer Blade $1799 on Amazon right now with 256GB Samsung SSD, and get an external drive.
It will fit in your backpack
It has about 6 hours of battery life thanks to Optimus
It has a 1060 which will run every game out now on the 1080P screen on Ultra - Witcher 3 in Ultra with hair is glorious
It's not too flashy (Get a Dbrand skin and the logo disappears) so it won't be stolen :)
It's made of CNC aluminum so it's pretty solid.
It runs hot with games (not overheating but metal and thin means it transmits heat to you)
Fan noise is constant with the current BIOS (see above)

The alternative is the ASUS ROG GL502VS - $1599 on Amazon with a Samsung 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD and a 1070
Bulkier, Overall 2lbs heavier than the Razer if you include the...
hello,
heres my recommendation (960M and 970M are last gen GPU's. These have current gen 10 series Pascal based GPU and will give you great gaming perf. should be relevant for the next few yrs easily):
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE62VR-Apache-Pro-026-i7-6700HQ/dp/B01IS33QWY/ref=pd_sbs_147_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01IS33QWY&pd_rd_r=G826RMHRQKQP7A9HFKR3&pd_rd_w=M0Glo&pd_rd_wg=iA377&psc=1&refRID=G826RMHRQKQP7A9HFKR3
https://www.amazon.com/GE62VR-Apache-i7-6700HQ-Geforce-Windows/dp/B01JN4JPA4/ref=pd_sbs_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01JN4JPA4&pd_rd_r=G826RMHRQKQP7A9HFKR3&pd_rd_w=M0Glo&pd_rd_wg=iA377&psc=1&refRID=G826RMHRQKQP7A9HFKR3

cheers

Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

these seem like a great value for the specs compared to similar ones from asus or dell .. but are they as trust worthy ? like wont overheat or have weird problems ?

Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

as i noticed the best one comes with i7 6500u which is a dual core .. and I don't trust these :3

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Rocwen Colondo : "Gaming laptop with international warranty"

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Razer Blade $1799 on Amazon right now with 256GB Samsung SSD, and get an external drive.
It will fit in your backpack
It has about 6 hours of battery life thanks to Optimus
It has a 1060 which will run every game out now on the 1080P screen on Ultra - Witcher 3 in Ultra with hair is glorious
It's not too flashy (Get a Dbrand skin and the logo disappears) so it won't be stolen :)
It's made of CNC aluminum so it's pretty solid.
It runs hot with games (not overheating but metal and thin means it transmits heat to you)
Fan noise is constant with the current BIOS (see above)

The alternative is the ASUS ROG GL502VS - $1599 on Amazon with a Samsung 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD and a 1070
Bulkier, Overall 2lbs heavier than the Razer if you include the weight of the power adapter (and you will need to)
Plasticky but solid, and flashy (you may like that)
1070 demolishes every game today on the 1080P screen and will continue to do so in 2017, and 2018 - Witcher 3 in Ultra with hair is glorious.
You can hook it up to a 4K monitor today and play every game out (except XCOM 2) and play with all settings turned to ultra... yeah
Runs cooler and quieter with the current BIOS, which fixes previous keyboard and battery drain issues.
3 hour battery life (Thank G-Sync) so the 1070 is always running, even at idle. (you'll be packing the power adapter I mentioned above everywhere).

You want a notebook that can also play games - get the Razer - it won't look like your a 15 year old nerd who lives in his parent's basement.
You want a notebook that can do work but demolishes games - get the ASUS - It's bigger (not as big as other gaming laptops) it's flashy (not as flashy as MSI with it's Ferrari logo and rainbow keys).

How do I know? I'm currently playing with both for a few weeks before I return one and keep the other. I like both but for different reasons. I have an every day computer so I probably will keep the ASUS because I won't be toting that around - It will be the couch/gaming computer. I also got the ASUS for $1399 at Microcenter on sale so the delta in price is over $400!

Cheers! :)

Ask any questions if you want me to try something out.

Oh and look Tom's recommended the GL502 for best gaming laptop under $1500 - If you can find one on sale like I did it's a steal: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-laptops,4828.html

Solution

Rocwen Colondo

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

just one more question about the asus rog gl502vs you mean the strix one right ? (asus rog strix gl502vs ) if so does it overheat to degree that it may damage the components with time ? is the battery detachable ? like can i get two batteries ?
, i ruled out the razer blade since it doesn't have an included hdd and more importantly since they dont have international warranty (where i live the blade costs at least 2500$ so i will be buying my laptops from outside the country asus seem to have international warranty)

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

Yes the ASUS ROG Strix GL502VS. It doesn't overheat for me. I played Witcher 3 on Ultra, hair turned on, at 1080P with the ASUS directly on my lap for about an two hours. As long as you don't cover up the middle vent on the bottom that sucks in air and the exhaust vents (above my knees), it was toasty but not painful or uncomfortable. Remember I've updated the BIOS to the most recent version .300 and updated the Intel Thermal Management drivers - and that makes a difference. It's got a roomier chassis so the heat shouldn't be an issue with these components.
The battery is not detachable. I'm not sure if it's detachable on any of the gaming machines I've used recently. You'd have to open the machine and remove it. That being said, all the components - HDD, SSD, memory, wireless card, and battery all easily accessible when you remove the bottom.

If battery life (it's about 3-4 hours on the ASUS with light use, 1 hour with gaming) is an issue - look for a gaming machine with Optimus - it will use the intel CPU's integrated graphics chip and switch to the dedicated (1060/70) only when playing games or intensive programs.

I hear you on the Blade, it's already expensive at $1799, forget about $2500.