Best Headphone for Music / Gaming under $200

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015
I listen to music like pop, EDM, etc. I play League Of Legends and CS:GO competitively. I currently have a Sony MDR-XB50 earbud, however I'm looking for better audio quality. So far, I've considered Audio Technica ATH M50x and Sennheiser HD 598. Any opinions or recommendations? Also, I don't have any headphone amps or sound cards. I will most likely be plugging it into my Dell PC or iPhone. I also don't really carry it anywhere, so convenience isn't of an issue but better to have. Also, I use this daily.

Solution
depends on what you are looking for in a can honestly.

the hd598 has much more depth to audio than the m50 (soundstage). sounds will appear to be from different distances while on the m50 everything sounds like it is right at your ears.

the m50 has much more warmth and bass. it can really hit those low tones that not many headphones in that price range can. closest to it would be the dt770 which is better all around but not foldable.

the m50 tends to be overhyped a bit but honestly neither of the two are bad cans. everything depends on what you're looking for in a product. this is why i try to broadly compare products so that you can make a decision yourself.

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

So if I were to put something blocking the sides, would that help?

envy14tpe

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
With open back headphones like the 598, you can't use them in public. The sound leaks out pretty easily. I can't wear mine on public transportation or at airports. It'd be rude. If you do plan to wear in public you really gotta get closed back like the Beyerdynamic 770.

envy14tpe

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
[strike]Saw a deal on a higher end pair...990 + a FREE Fiio A1 Portable Headphone Amplifier and Headphone Splitter with Purchase! for $158.
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product/BEYDT990PREMIUM32/BeyerDynamic-DT-990-Premium-Headphones-32-OHM?omid=200&ref=cj&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_content=5431261[/strike]

But due to lower Ohm, it is more for portable devices. So, guess this isn't best for u. sorry.

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

It comes with a free amp.... might be a deal breaker. On another note, the M50x get tiring to listen to in my opinion.

envy14tpe

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Always read professional reviews and youtube videos that specialize before making decision.

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Alright. So I can still listen to EDM on the Sennheiser HD 598 right?

yeah, but the m50 is not great for gaming as its soundstage is pathetically small even for closed cans. i know this from actually owning a pair. everything sounds like it is a foot from your ears. i personally do like mine for music, but i realize its limitations. i have used them for gaming rarely and while you certainly could use them its not ideal. do you absolutely need soundstage? well, it helps give you a better sense of direction/distance but its not absolutely required. the nice points are that the m50 is portable and durable but do get hot and do have small earcups.

could you listen to EDM? sure. people even listen to edm on bass light cans, its all your preferences. bass is not strong but its not super anemic either like some bass light cans - its midway in the neutral category then drops off sharply as they cant handle the sub-level bass. as long as you realize its not going to be able to pound low end bass from dubstep and the like you should be okay. EDM is mostly mid bass anyways. i'm a heavy listener of all sorts of electronica myself.

listen, everyone will have contrasting opinions on what is good. unless you actually go to a store and listen to some products to get a feel for what you like and dont like in audio its hard to make the call. also, people have different opinions on what is enough bass and what is not enough so is really hard to go by what is said here. yes, i'm telling you to even take what i say with a huge grain of salt here - this is why i try to be very descriptive although even that is not really enough to know perfectly.

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Alright. I will post my update when the 598 arrives on Wednesday.

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Alright just got them, my first impressions were WOW!. However, I heard that you need to burn in headphones? Does it actually work?

GeekSquadd

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016

Hands down the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones.

two things on that i'd note.

yes, some headphones do change from burn in although in most cases it is very slight. i think the hd598 falls into the slight category but there might be some truth there on improvement.

some is your perception. as you get used to headphones (or anything new) you go through a transition phase. once you are used to the signature you may recall it as being better than it was before.

while the hd598 is not bass heavy nor needs amplification a decent soundcard or amplifier can improve their sound very well as they respond well to that. on a side note the m50 doesnt really improve much even on good equipment it always sound about the same (which is still good).

glad you like the hd598. welcome to the world of hifi headphones. remember there are even headphones that make the hd598 sound bad :) its a big world out there.

next step? maybe a better way to drive them. thats optional though.

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Yep. Tons out of choices out there, but don't have that money. Currently going through a "Missing M50x's Bass" phase right now.

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Looks like I figured out why the M50X sounded bad, my setup. I regret returning them, but too late now. Same as for HD 598, sounds a lot better now that I changed my setup. (My PC is hooked up to my Bose Speakers which have a port for headphones.) Sounds a lot clearer without using them.

depends on what you are looking for in a can honestly.

the hd598 has much more depth to audio than the m50 (soundstage). sounds will appear to be from different distances while on the m50 everything sounds like it is right at your ears.

the m50 has much more warmth and bass. it can really hit those low tones that not many headphones in that price range can. closest to it would be the dt770 which is better all around but not foldable.

the m50 tends to be overhyped a bit but honestly neither of the two are bad cans. everything depends on what you're looking for in a product. this is why i try to broadly compare products so that you can make a decision yourself.

Solution

zLukez

Estimable
Oct 31, 2015

Thanks for helping me look for headphones. I have a bassy earbud, so it's not that bad although it can't produce those low tones as well.