Best headphones for a gaming / music setup?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
Hi, I was just curious to find a good pair of headphones that I can use for some medium / light gaming as well as for listening to music.

I have browsed around at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, as well as the Sennheiser HD 598SE's.
I don't mind any amount of bass, but I have no idea how to make my decision. I listen to majorily EDM and indie music, if that helps.

Solution

The 558s are great headphones but I don't think they quite match up the AD 700x. A good part of that is going to come down to whether or not you like Sennheiser's classic "warm" sound compared to audio technica's V-like frequency response. The other part is that the AD 700x just have more detail in the sound they produce.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Just remember that open headphones require a quiet environment and that people around you can hear them.

You preferably want to get the higher model. Comparing the AD700x to the AD900x, The AD900x are pretty much better across the board. Compared to the A900x, the AD700x are going to have a better soundstage but not by much. The A900x has better mids and treble.

The lack of bass for many people on these headphones are due to two factors. One, many people seems to like bass that drowns out everything else. No audiophile headphone should do this because it isn't accurate to how the music should sound. Two, the earpads audio technical decided to use with these. They are designed to produce clear detailed sound. You could purchase memory foam earpads to get more bass but they would lessen sound stage and detail. The only exception I've found to this rule are very expensive earpads that are designed to give you both. I'm talking about the Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads, which alone go for $60. The earpads I suggested to you earlier are made by audio technica and will give you a little boost in the bass without sacrificing detail with a bit more comfort. They aren't exactly cheap either though at $25 - 30.

So are the 558s, which might be better for your low end needs

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

The 558s are great headphones but I don't think they quite match up the AD 700x. A good part of that is going to come down to whether or not you like Sennheiser's classic "warm" sound compared to audio technica's V-like frequency response. The other part is that the AD 700x just have more detail in the sound they produce.

Solution

Go to a store and listen to something you would normally listen to, that's really the only way to know which is better for you.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

You'll likely end up enjoying whichever you pick if this is your first Audiophile headset. Short of doing what Basroil suggested you could also buy both and return one. I know this is possible with Amazon.

Best Buy sometimes has the HD518, 558 and 598 in their "magnolia" section, so you might be able to at least test those (and they have the 598 for ~$150, which isn't too bad a price)

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014

No, it says it will be available two weeks from now.

nguyenantho123

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
Also, the 598's are more appealing to my eyes, as the open-back design of the Audio-Technica's has a very exposed honeycomb design, as well as very large circular cans. But the price jump from the AD700x and HD 598 is around $50, and the 598's won't really take use of my motherboard audio.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Unless you are checking yourself out in the mirror, visual appeal shouldn't be a factor. These aren't portable headphones you are walking around in.

Where did you hear that nonsense? The HD598 will work just fine with your motherboard. They will sound better with a sound card, sure, but so will practically any high end headphone!

You do realize that the HD 558 are the equivalent to the AD700x, and the HD598 are a step up in build quality right? You can get the HD558 on amazon for ~$110, the same as the AD700x, and audio quality is more or less the same as the HD598

Again, where are you hearing this crap? Start posting sources, because I think you're just getting confused.

The difference between the HD558 and HD598 is the build quality and price. The drivers are pretty much the same, and if you check the link I gave you before you can see that the two are almost identical in response too.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Agreed. Very little difference between the 558 and the 598. Not really worth the cost if you have a small budget.

Your best choice is either going to be the 558s or the AD700x. Go for the AD700x if you don't plan on buying an AMP anytime soon or stick with the 558 and purchase an AMP down the road. AMPs aren't super expensive, something like a Fiio would be more than enough. You don't have to worry about expensive AMPs until you get very expensive headphones.