best headphones for gaming?

UnrezolvedKaos

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015
To start off. No I'm not looking for a bad headset. I have a Mic and I'm looking for the best headphones for around 400 dollars with the best clarity, bass, mid etc.. Looking for recommendations

Solution
the 250 dt990s are very hard to drive. the pricing of them is also a bit different.

the cheapest available is the dt990 pro 250ohm. typically $180-200
the rest are the premium version which are 32ohm, 250ohm or 600ohm.

besides having a different levels of ohm resistance, they are very similar to the pro version. the differences are that they sound a bit more "airy" and have less bass and a slightly different look to them with less clamp to the headband. not worth the price unless you need the 32 or 600 version and even then they are very overpriced given the almost zero performance difference.

for the price the 990 pro 250 is a good deal if the v-shaped sound profile with decent bass and crisp highs (but somewhat lacking mids) is...

UnrezolvedKaos

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015

yes, because all the answers youre giving me are absoluty no help. If you are here to complain about my posts you can go help other people.

perhaps the reason why you did not like the answers is because you did not provide us with much information. if we have no information about your taste in sound or expectations (which is HUGELY important when doing headphone recommendations) we cannot give you a very good answer. also without knowing if you have an amplifier, soundcard or other equipment means that its hard to recommend something since all of that costs extra as well and cuts into cost if you need it.

you asked about the pc363d, hd600 and hd650 in your other thread and the answers given (at least the one i gave) listed a few characteristics of said headphones which is what you wanted to hear i suppose (though you say almost nothing about what you want). do realize that no headphone can be the best at everything and many have areas in which they excel and areas which they do not. for instance you will not find a pair of headphones which has the deepest of bass responses yet crystal clear bright highs at the same time. we need to know what you want in order to limit the list down to a few for you to research on your own.

i am not here to complain about your posts; it was a reminder of the site rules. since i enforce such rules it was just a reminder to please keep to one thread per question in the future.

i'll just say this once: if you expect a good answer you need to be more specific in your request as to your preferences and needs. you should also answer questions posed by those trying to help you so they can provide a better answer, or at the very least respond. (otherwise nobody will care and people will stop trying to help you)

UnrezolvedKaos

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015

Ok, Thank you. I believe I have found the ones. The DT 990s seem to be very well. however I want to know if its better to get 250 OHM's or 32. I use onboard audio on my vii hero.

the 250 dt990s are very hard to drive. the pricing of them is also a bit different.

the cheapest available is the dt990 pro 250ohm. typically $180-200
the rest are the premium version which are 32ohm, 250ohm or 600ohm.

besides having a different levels of ohm resistance, they are very similar to the pro version. the differences are that they sound a bit more "airy" and have less bass and a slightly different look to them with less clamp to the headband. not worth the price unless you need the 32 or 600 version and even then they are very overpriced given the almost zero performance difference.

for the price the 990 pro 250 is a good deal if the v-shaped sound profile with decent bass and crisp highs (but somewhat lacking mids) is what you like. it is called the "fun" sound profile and certainly makes things a bit more engaging if not 100% as-in-real-life. you WILL need an amplifier for it as they are hard to drive.

now, not sure if you want virtual surround or not. your motherboard may have something of that nature (so you can use the line out jack for it to an amp) though dolby headphone or sbx/cmss-3d are likely going to be better and those are found on soundcards.

you could run line out from your motherboard and get a decent quality amp which can drive the 990's great such as the schiit magni. this would let you use your onboard for processing and the amp to power.

a cheaper option (That introduces a bit of distortion) uses the powered headphone jack out of your motherboard and a cheaper amp connected to it (like a fiio e11, e10k or similar) since it would be double-amping the signal. slight quality decrease yes, but some people do this with a cheaper amp since they dont have the budget for a bigger one (or if they need to use it for travel use so CANT have a bigger amp)

if you wanted better virtual surround you could always use a soundcard in your pc to do the processing (xonar dg, dx or creative z) and an amp to do the powering (read above motherboard options, you have the same ones with a soundcard).

the third and last option is to use an external DAC and amp (like schiit magni and modi combo) you cannot use virtual surround with this option though you're likely to get the best (at least the least electrical noise distortion) for the money. it does one thing: good stereo sound and plugs in via usb (amp hooks up to dac).

Solution