Best Headphones/Headset for Gaming under $150 in 2018

Feb 21, 2018
Im looking to buy a pair of headphones or a headset for my gaming pc. I will use it 50% for gaming, and 50% for consuming music and videos. I don‘t necessarily need a mic on the headset.
It would also be nice if it was closed back, but i can live with open back ones as well, if you think they are so superior. I would appreciate it greatly if you could give me some wireless options as well.
What do you recommend me to buy?
Thanks in advance!

Feb 21, 2018

Are m50x really worth the higher price than the m40x?
Also, are there any good quality replacement ear-pads available for them? I would like something that can breath better than the leather on the original ear pads, because I don't want my ears to get too warm during a gaming session.
Thanks!

I would recommend open back, the wider sound stage really gives vsurround modes in games much more depth. the Philips SHP9500S is probably the best sounding headphones in its class, once broken in they sound better than headsets 3x the cost easily. They also have cloth pads for easy breathing and very comfortable. The are a bit loose fitting, but I actually prefer it over tighter cans that cause fatigue. Can go all day on these where closed back with leather type pads I have to break every so often due to the heat build up. Very good deal at $50 from the 'egg.

Adding a mic is also painless using the V-Moda BoomPro, just remove the headphone cable and plug it directly for instant headset conversion.

Feb 21, 2018

Thank you for answering!
What do you think about the Sennheiser Game Ones?
Since i live in Austria (central Europe) my currency is the Euro. The Euro pricing of the Philip‘s Headphone you recommended is 120€ The Sennheisers are 150€, but include a mic. The sennheisers also come with an open-back design and velour ear pads. I guess they would sound better, but I’m definitely not an expert.