Neve12ende12

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
Hardware:
1. Xbox Scorpio
2. Onkyo TX-NR636
3. Vizio M65-d0

The Problem:
My receiver only has HDMI 2.0 so I can't utilize the HDR capabilities of the Scorpio if I run it through the receiver.

Proposed Solution:
Run Scorpio through the TV and use the ARC to pass audio back and forth to the receiver.

The Question:
Is the proposed solution the best way to maximize my audio video experience and what am I sacrificing by not running the Scorpio to the receiver?

Sarth67

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
The TX-NR636 is one of the only A/V receivers to feature the latest HDMI 2.0 supporting 4K/60 Hz and 21:9 display format and HDCP 2.2 copy-protection compatibility. Qdeo™ upscaling technology also converts low-res DVDs and games into pin-sharp Full HD or 4K (if you have an Ultra HD display). TX-NR636 paves the way for Ultra HD video playback at a liquid-smooth 60 frames per second. This is great news for PC gamers who can now add wall-shaking surround sound to their 4K/60 Hz experience

Your TV does not support the full color range in hdr you will see more difference there than in the AV receiver

Either the ARC or if you must a optical out from the tv to the avr would be fine. Just make certain you get new HDMI cables that support the newer standards.

You are pretty well set up I do not think you will see much of a problem