Best keylogger to monitor child's activities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirefIy

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
Hello,
I would like to know what's the best (easy-to-setup, easy-to-use) keylogger that will create log files of child's activities on the internet, and maybe even give password of his facebook account. Joking. For educational purposes only.

Regards,
Alex.

Ijack

Distinguished
Check your local laws. This sort of behaviour is an offence in many jurisdictions, gathering passwods doubly so.

Better to use filtering software; some parents even talk to their kids and trust them.

FirefIy

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014

Totaly legal according to my laws, as long as I am doing it on my own computer with personal use only. Even in US keyloggers are not illegal, what makes them illegal is how you use them and not what they do.

Ijack

Distinguished
Even in US keyloggers are not illegal, what makes them illegal is how you use them and not what they do.
You are correct to a degree, and the law varies from state to state in the US. For example, in Florida it has been determined that it is a criminal offence to install a keylogger on a spouse's computer. I'm not sure if it has been tested with a child but I can't see much difference. I don't know where you live but I'll take your word for it that you have checked with a competent legal advisor.

As long as you are sure that in your country and/or state it is legal to install a keylogger then the only problem is the morality issue. I never felt the need to spy on my child, but we had a good relationship and could discuss this sort of issue openly. I appreciate that this is not the case for all parents.

FirefIy

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014

Well, I don't have children yet, the child I'm speaking of is my younger brother that sits on my PC while I'm at work. I've been dealing with so much viruses on my PC for the past year - year and half. Which is annoying me. He's telling me that he does not know where viruses are coming from, and browser history is always empty. I even gave him a standard user account instead of administrator account (was only one account) but he keeps asking for password cause he wants to install smth, e.g. A game on steam.

PS.
I'm not from US.

Ijack

Distinguished
I'm not from US.

Neither am I. Where I live (the UK) it would be a criminal act to obtain someones computer password covertly. Also a criminal act to put a keylogger on a computer that you do not own. So if your parents own the computer then it would be illegal. But if it's your computer and you let your brother use it then it would be easier just to stop him from using it altogether. That way you can keep your computer clean without having to spy on anyone.

Obviously you know the laws of your own country better than I do as I have no idea where you live.

FirefIy

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014

You realise that stopping him using from my computer is not a valid option, and yes it is my computer, I have built in myself.
So keylogger or any child monitor software that will help me find the source of these viruses is the best option here.

Ijack

Distinguished
You realise that stopping him using from my computer is not a valid option
Why on earth not? It's your computer so it's up to you to decide who uses it. I can't see why that wouldn't be an option. If he's putting viruses on it then give him an ultimatum; either stop or you withdraw his ability to use the computer.

As it's your computer, you can put a keylogger on it. But any decent person would let the other know that this has been done. And be aware that if you inadvertently record logon details to any site (username and/or password), bank account information, or the like then it is likely that you are committing an offence. So make sure that your keylogger filters out such sensitive information.

FirefIy

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014

I really don't want to waste time explaining why forbidding someone to use your PC w/o proof of them being guilty in downloading and installing malicious software is not a valid option. Btw, have you heard about NSA's total surveillance? Well, apperantly over 30 countries are doing something similar.
http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/government-malware-no-longer-sci-fi/

So one self-owned computer that's being self surveillanced is not that big a problem, don't you think?

Pinhedd

Distinguished
Hi,

Regardless of the legal status of keyloggers we do not allow discussion of them on this forum due to their controversial nature. If you are worried about your child's online activities, spend some time with them while they are online!

Status
Not open for further replies.