Best Laptop for CAD - 3D Modelling & Animation (Unity3D, 3DMAX, Blender, Photoshop)

dkp2

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop soon. I am doing 3d modelling and animation, so the laptop will need to more or less effortlessly push through render sessions. Many thanks for your help in advance!

1. What is your budget?
£1200 (including tax)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15" screen or possibly 17" (I'll be using a second monitor, so doesn't need to be huge)

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1050x1680 or better if possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement mainly and portable at times

5. How much battery life do you need?
average (~3h)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop?
No, mainly modelling and animation

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?
3DMAX, Unity 3D, Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, Blender, ZBrush

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
at least 2-3 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Alienware? Gigabyte? No reasons other than I'd like something that feels substantial and sturdy.

13. What country do you live in?
Scotland

Many thanks,

Debbie

Solution
It's going to be tough to keep in your budget for a good rendering laptop with a high res screen. Take a look at the Lenovo W series, HP Z books (gen 2 ones have a high res screen), maybe go through some systems at www.xoticpc.com, both in gaming and workstation laptops.

But I think to get a system that is really good for what you want to do, you are looking at several 100 more. For example the HP Z book that is offered at my job has about a $1,600 USD price.
It's going to be tough to keep in your budget for a good rendering laptop with a high res screen. Take a look at the Lenovo W series, HP Z books (gen 2 ones have a high res screen), maybe go through some systems at www.xoticpc.com, both in gaming and workstation laptops.

But I think to get a system that is really good for what you want to do, you are looking at several 100 more. For example the HP Z book that is offered at my job has about a $1,600 USD price.

Solution