Solved! Best laptops under 800

chicagopuppy88

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I am looking for a laptop under 800 dollars. I will mostly be using it for my music storage(itunes), surfing the web and school stuff. These are the laptops I have found so far(from Best buy):

1.($549.99)Asus - Laptop with Intel® Pentium® Processor - Vintage Brown
Model: K60I-RBBBR05 | SKU: 9700741

ENERGY STAR Qualified
Intel® Pentium® processor T4400; 4GB DDR2 memory; 6-cell lithium-ion battery; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; 16" display; 500GB hard drive; built-in webcam; facial recognition; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

2.($629.99) Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™ i3 Processor - Afterglow
Model: U50F-RBBAG05 | SKU: 9701922

ENERGY STAR Qualified
Intel® Core™ i3-330M processor; 4GB DDR3 memory; 6-cell battery; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive; 15.6" widescreen; 500GB hard drive; built-in webcam; facial recognition; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
3.($699.99) HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor
Model: dv7-3065dx | SKU: 9556296

ENERGY STAR Qualified
AMD Turion™ II Ultra dual-core mobile processor M600; 4GB DDR2 memory; 8-cell lithium-ion battery; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with Blu-ray Disc support; LightScribe labeling; 17.3" widescreen; 500GB hard drive; built-in webcam; Windows 7 Home Premium

4. ($779.99) HP - Pavilion Laptop with AMD Turion™ II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor - Espresso Black
Model: dv7-3165dx | SKU: 9700814

ENERGY STAR Qualified
AMD Turion™ II Ultra dual-core mobile processor M620; 4GB DDR2 memory; 8-cell lithium-ion battery; DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with Blu-ray Disc support; LightScribe labeling; 17.3" widescreen; 500GB hard drive; built-in webcam; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Which one would be the best to get? Are these any good? Are there better laptops i can get for that amount of money?

Solution
A laptop is not just the specs, my friend. You should consider the ergonomics, the design, the battery life, the design, etc etc. For that, there is nothing better than a VAIO for under 800. Of course there ARE better laptops (over 800).

The Asus, for example, comes with a low end Pentium processor, and VAIO keyboards are among the best. The Asus also does not support multitouch.

chicagopuppy88

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I wanted to update with some more information

1_What is your budget? <$800

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" to 17" screen

3_What screen resolution do you want? I am not really sure.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5_How much battery life do you need? around 3 hours would be nice

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I don't really play games

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) I would like a webcam,

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? I am looking for a 500GB hard drive

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. I was looking at best buy but I am open to ither sites

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? I would like it to last a long time

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD-Rom

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I would just like to get the best I can for my money

13_What country do you live in? USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would like it to have a ten key

Tunafish

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
A laptop is not just the specs, my friend. You should consider the ergonomics, the design, the battery life, the design, etc etc. For that, there is nothing better than a VAIO for under 800. Of course there ARE better laptops (over 800).

The Asus, for example, comes with a low end Pentium processor, and VAIO keyboards are among the best. The Asus also does not support multitouch.

Solution