Best mobile phone voice recording or app

flowboy

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I need to upgrade my mobile / cell phone. I am seeking the perfect replacement!
Other than use as a phone I would like to be able to record good quality sound clips - i.e. singing or playing guitar or even piano. All the older pre "smart" phones I've tried have been no good for this - very poor quality recordings. (I haven't tried them all!)
Can anyone recommend a phone that records well & is not too expensive? It doesn't have to be a smart phone
But if I get a smart phone which app is best? Obviously there are different operating systems but I have no preference.

I use my cell phone camera quite a lot but other than that & texting I do not play games or go on-line or use social networking on my phone.

I also know that the iPhone has a very good recording app but it is too expensive

Also any tech heads know what the recording file types will be - mp3, WAV etc? I would like to download them to my PC.

wilykit104

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

My husband is a musician and I often use his phone (Nokia N8) to record videos of him playing live in the pub, he then uses these recordings on facebook and youtube. (We use the free version of VideoPad on computer to crop, merge and finalise the videos before uploading - also an excellent piece of software). The N8 has fantastic sound recording quality and videos record as mp4s with a variety of options for setting the screen ratio (eg. 4:3, widescreen, etc.) The camera is also an amazing 12megapixels and it takes really fantastic pictures. It's not the newest of models and it is quite chunky compared to the most recent smartphones, but I think you'd be hard pushed to beat it for quality recordings. This is only a theory and I'm no expert, but I suspect the fact the modern smartphones are so thin leads to a compromise in sound recording quality. The voice recording option is WAV format, and is also very good quality.

I know a few more smart-phones are boasting 12mp cameras now, but its really hard to find info on how good the sound recording quality is for videos, all the internet reveiws seem to care about is picture quality. I was looking into getting the HTC One X (or S) which looked very promising with a 12(or 8)mp camera and quality video recording, but was put off when I learned that you can hear the autofocus clicking on the actual recordings on all the HTC One models - not ideal!

flowboy

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for that wilykit, particularly the tip re. VideoPad.
I got a Nokia Lumia 710 in the end as I needed a phone & anyway I just couldn't find any useful info about sound recording for pretty much ALL the phones currently available. Other than Apple, the manufacturers just don't see it as important, which seems crazy when a phone is a device for speaking into!
I went for the Nokia Lumia 710 as reviews said it had good clear sound when receiving calls from it, (so probably an ok microphone)
The 710 has pretty good video recording quality - guitar / vocal sounds nice & clean on it.
It also has a "note" recording facility for voice memo's which I thought would be as good as the video but it is UNBELIEVABLY crap sound-wise. Like speaking thru' a fuzz box, just like all my previous phones. Obviously uses a different part of the phone chip to record on - totally stupid as far as I'm concerned. Not at all useful for memo's let alone musical ones.

Have yet to explore the possibilities with Apps just for sound recording. I'm hoping some of them will be accessing the video quality sound. We shall see.
May post them up here if I find a good one