Best PC to Stereo Amp connection?

bclatt1

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
I have my PC connected to my Onkyo Integra stereo amp using a RCA to 3.5 aux cable, but i want to set it up for the best audio quality i can get for a somewhat cheap price. Iv had many people tell me to get a DAC to eliminate static and get a clear song, but the issue iv found with that is that the only input for most DACs is Optical and coaxial, and my computer has neither of those. So i was looking at ways to do that and I don't know which would be best?

do i want to get an Optical to 3.5 aux cable ( http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-TOSLINK-Optical-Digital-Audio/dp/B00GZQWLF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454268599&sr=8-1&keywords=optical+to+3.5 ) to connect the DAC to my pc?

Or would i want a Toslink to 3.5mm mini adapter? ( http://www.amazon.com/Conwork-2-Pack-Toslink-Connector-Adapter/dp/B016466XPO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1454268599&sr=8-10&keywords=optical+to+3.5 )

Or an Analog to digital converter from my pc? ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036VO4X4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=NIPKZUW4PBTR&coliid=I3ICBY80JJVQFZ&psc=1 )

Or just drop more money and go for a sound card with optical output? if so do i want internal or external?

I also want to sometime add a surround sound box to my stereo system, so what would also be good for that? Also the stereo amp has only RCA inputs, and my PC motherboard has the standard Blue line in, green line out and red mic in. I just want to know how i can get the best sound for a lower cost, i don't want to spend more than 100, and id like to try and stay around the 50 dollar range.
Also if any one has any suggestions on a good headset for around 50 dollars i am in the market for one, im looking for one with Aux connections, and does not have a hardwired cable, every headset i buy breaks where the cable goes into the headphones and im tired of it so im going to a detachable one, but the headphones would be used for video games and music so i just need good quality, i don't need a mic.

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated, Thank you!

Does your Onkyo has optical input? If not - this whole game about going digital is pointless.
There's also no easy way to make your system "surround", without (expensive) external audio processor. It's probably cheaper to save money, and replace your whole setup with 2.1 surround system with optical in (many sound bars have this).

bclatt1

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

No , my Onkyo is an old model from 1991, the Integra R1 A809 and has only RCA inputs. Alright thank you, well I have a Surround sound box of some sort and just need a couple speakers for it so i was thinking about adding it but i dont know, its not a necessity just something i thought about adding.

So you want it good and you want it cheap. If I was a salesman, I walk away from you. :D

U don't add surround to a stereo system as if some accessory, usually you replace the whole Receiver/Amplifier, so make up your mind form the get go if you want up front expense or live with stereo for a while until you know for sure you need surround.

For a PC based delivery system it's no point to "improve" things unless you are playing uncompressed media, and the gist is, keep everything digital until it's out of the PC box (because PC is noisy, not kind to analog signal), so for that what must comes of of the PC should be HDMI/Optical/Coax. If your amp doesn't have those inputs then you will need a D/A converter box between PC and amp, and add a sound card with one of those outputs.