Best Point-and-Shoot Cameras 2014

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I have the Canon SX620 and love it! Excellent pocketable camera at a good price (I bought mine direct from Canon's website.) The closest thing to a downside I've found so far is that it's so small, but that's common with cameras of this type -- I have medium-size hands for a man, and I have to be sure I'm not covering the pop-up flash or touching any rear-panel buttons. As a former film-SLR user I do miss having a viewfinder, but few small cameras have them and the LCD screen is good under most lighting conditions; if the sun is behind you, use your body to shade the screen, and all is well.

Jul 18, 2018
You have an interesting box on why these cameras are better in low light than phone-based cameras.

So overall, how do these compact cameras (in particular the top-rated Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-WX500) compare with the cameras on your top-rated phones, the Google Pixel 2 XL and Samsung Galaxy S9+?

What are the pros and cons?

If I don't mind carrying two things around, would I be better off buying a Sony DSC-WX500 and getting a low-end phone for podcasts, email, etc.?