Best POWERED PA System for Hard Rock Band, 100-200 people?

daddygreene

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Can anyone tell me what the best POWERED PA System is for a hard rock band for 100-300 people for under $5000? I'm just talking speakers and subs. I've got the rest of the stuff, but I want to go powered. I want good punch and sound quality.

I've heard QSC and Yorkville powered series are good.

I'd like more opinions on these and other systems.

Thanks.

Yorkville for sure, but add an external 31 band EQ to keep your feedback under control.

Malynowsky

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Just wondering is it better to buy a powered mixer at 1000w through 2, 500w unpowered speakers or put the speakers through a 1000w power amp and an unpowered mixer?
I have the speakers and unpowered mixer already.

I would say that Yorkville is very well built and has good customer service, JBL on the other hand...have had problems with components falling off the Chinese circuit boards, and I would rate JBL customer service as being pretty low on the ladder. Although JBL does sound good, and works OK as long as you don't move it around too much.
Separate components are always better, if the power amp blows a transistor, my mixer is still up and running, etc...active crossover is always better, I can adjust my crossover points to fit room acoustics and components, I can cross my horns higher so that the voice coils won't heat up as much, etc...
passive being cheaper but inferior in sound quality and efficiency.
You don't see any major concert sound companies using all in one mixer / amps and passive crossovers, take a hint.